forty-eight

A/N: hello 4 whole years later wow HAHA

Keeping my relationship with Luke secret from my parents was the hardest part, especially considering he had to go back and teach again in the fall. I knew it was because of what Alex had done to me, but I couldn't help but worry that he'd have an affair with some other student and that he'd treat her the exact same way he treated me. But even despite all the fears and doubts in my mind that I had, I knew how Luke felt about me. He wouldn't have gone out of his way and through the trouble of coming back to find me and talk it out with me if he didn't care. We had a lot of work to do but I knew we could do it. I loved him, and I knew that he loved me.

Throughout the summer off, I spent a lot of time with Luke and met up with him regularly. Sometimes we'd get a smoothie together and walk around London, a few times we went to see a movie or he took me to dinner, and he even took me on the London Eye for the first time in probably 10 years or so. I forgot just how much I was afraid of heights before hand, and I swore I'd never go on it again after that but knew that I probably would anyways.

And of course along with the fun romantic times we spent together during the summer, there were times when he would take me to his apartment he stayed at during the summer and we'd relive the days we spent in the back of his office, but in a comfortable bed instead, or maybe on the couch, in the shower, on the kitchen counter... I was over at his apartment a lot.

He explained that he stayed in his apartment only during the summer months, and when he came home from holidays, he would just go back home to his family in Australia. He promised that I'd get to meet his mother eventually, and that she'd absolutely love me and I'd feel welcomed right away. He wanted to wait and let it seem less suspicious for us meeting and being so serious seeing as he couldn't really open up and be honest about the fact that I was his student given the judgment that would be passed for it. I was fine with it, and had no intentions on telling my parents anytime soon for the same reason.

I knew that it wouldn't be long before that summer would end and I dreaded it horribly. I knew that I would be away at college and Luke would be away teaching at school and we wouldn't be able to see each other for months at a time. I wasn't looking forward to this, but I was trying to savor every moment I had left with Luke while it lasted.

Eleanor came over and spent the night at my house one more time before we left for college. The feelings were weird and bittersweet. Eleanor and I had been going to the same school together for as long as we had both even been in school, and it was hard realizing that this would be the first time without us doing that.

"I cannot tell you how happy I am that you and Hemmings finally worked everything out," she said as we sat sipping at our shared bottle of wine that she had sneaked over for us, my parents had long been in bed. "I really had faith that he wasn't a prick like Alex and he almost proved me wrong."

"No, and I am never speaking to Alex again," I rolled my eyes, taking a long swig of the bottle. "I was starting to reach a point where I was sure that things were really over between us."

"Me too," she sighed. "I'm kind of jealous. You get a hot boyfriend who's also a teacher who is all grown up and independent and SO good looking." She giggled.

"Yeah, yeah," I rolled my eyes but also giggled, knowing she was right. "You know for once, I'm not annoyed that you're talking about him like that, because I know you're right."

"Of course I'm right, I'm me," she flipped her hair back. "By the way, what's with the new haircut?"

"I had a break down," I shrugged. "You know, thought things weren't going to work out, wanted to get rid of something. It was an act of impulse. I thought I'd end up regretting it but I kind of love it."

"I love it too," she agreed. "I never imagined you with short hair but it looks really good on you."

"I know," I said dramatically, twirling my hair and she giggled.

"Alright enough of that, we need to take some pictures together for the sake of not seeing each other for the foreseeable future, which I am trying not to show that I'm actually devastated about."

Eleanor and I promised to speak to each other as much as could each day while we were away at uni. I tried not to be too upset thinking about school without my best friend and now, boyfriend.

I still had a few nights with Luke, which was relieving but also frightening at the same time after spending most of the summer together and about to go to not seeing each other again for possibly months at a time.

It felt surreal, but I tried to keep myself calm about it. We could make this work, if he's committed to me like I am to him. I'm sure of it.

-

A/N: I know for being 4 years later the update should have been way longer than this but I have another chapter and an epilogue to write, both of which are going to be much better than this don't worry.
I'm sure everyone has already given up on this story but it haunts me every night knowing I never finished it so I'm committed to it now that I'm quarantined, mostly out of work and reread it just to refresh my mind.
Hopefully another tomorrow? Or the next day? Soon?? Thanks if you're still reading this lol love u guys xoxo