twenty-one

It had only been about 10 minutes that I had sat down with my homework to get working on it when I saw someone from the corner of my eye. I figured it was just another student in the library doing homework or checking out a book.

However, I was horribly mistaken when the person tapped my shoulder and I looked up from my work.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, prepared to move my books to a table far away before I had to deal with any of this bullshit.

"No, Daisy please listen to me," Alex said, stopping my arms from picking up my books. I folded them across my chest and scowled at him.

"I have nothing to say to you," I said. "I am much happier this way, without worrying about every single little thing I do wrong."

"Listen, Daisy," he said. "I just wanted you to know that I really am sorry for what I did to you. I have no excuse and you did not deserve that."

"You're very right," I said. "I deserve better than that. Now may I continue my homework?"

He sighed. "I just wanted you to know that I really am sorry. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it for weeks, and it's been eating me away inside knowing that I did that to you. I just want a chance to--"

"We are NOT getting back together, Alex," I said, unfolding my hands and moving them in front of me in case he tried anything.

"No, that's not what I was getting at," he said. "I know you wouldn't want to be with me again. I was just wanting to be friends. I don't like the harsh distance between us."

I thought for a minute. Did I really want to just forgive him? I mean, he's not trying to get back together with me, and being friends isn't going to hurt anything.

"Sure," I said.

"Really?" he smiled.

"Yeah, but don't push it," I said. "We aren't getting back together."

"I know, I know," he said. "Well I have homework I should get to so I'll see you around."

I waved awkwardly at him and sat back down, continuing to do my homework and trying to shake my head from the thoughts of Alex.

-

"I just love when he is grading papers and he focuses on the work he's doing," Eleanor was talking about Professor Hemmings again and I was annoyed again.

"Yeah wow, watching him suck the life out of people by grading them harshly just really gets me off, El," I rolled my eyes.

"It's just the way he chews on his bottom lip and ugh." She hugged her books against her chest. "I need to stop. I cannot believe I have a crush on my teacher."

I found myself annoyed with the idea of Eleanor and Hemmings being together and pushed the image out of my head. "What about that one guy you went to the dance with?"

"Brad? He's too flamboyant. I think he might be gay," she whispered the last part.

"So it's just not happening?"

"Nah," she said. "I'd rather not be involved in any relations with other people at the moment anyways. Besides, it is so easy to get caught fucking your teacher and it would never happen anyways, he always picks on you in class and hardly even notices I even exist."

"Yeah he picks on me because he's a dick," I said, though I don't think I'd enjoy the class as much if he didn't pick on me.

"Or because he wants to fuck you on his desk," she whispered, giggling. Unlike all the other times, I got a funny feeling in my stomach thinking about it.

"Come on you hoe," I said and she laughed, wiggling her tongue between her index and middle finger. "I'm hungry and want to be served first."

-

"Okay, now Daisy this time will you please read the passage and answer the questions without some smart aleck remark," Professor Hemmings said, clearly getting frustrated with me about the English tutoring sessions.

"Why do I have to do this?" I said. "I am way too smart for this, it's just a matter of whether or not I want to focus."

"Well first can we prove your ability to focus by showing that you can focus right now?"

"Hmm," I thought for a moment. "Maybe."

I smiled, biting down on my lip when Professor Hemmings' jaw set again, and I was beginning to see what Eleanor and Eileen were talking about when he gets angry, he really was very attractive. When he looked at me I noticed for the first time how blue his eyes were and how much those big glasses took away from the brightness of them. I looked back down at my work, pretending to read again but when I looked back up I saw his beautiful jawline and how perfect it looked now that I'd gotten him slightly agitated.

"I think I'm just gonna call it a day," I said, attempting to close my notebook but Professor Hemmings stopped and opened it back up.

"I am the one who dismisses you, Miss Williams," he said, clearly my attitude was annoying him and that's exactly what I was going for.

This continued for a while until I decided enough was enough and I needed to get my work done. I breezed right through it of course, and before long I was heading back to the dorms with a little bounce in my walk, feeling like I'd accomplished something great.

"Why do you look so smug?" Eleanor asked me, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively when I entered our dorm to put my stuff away before dinner.

"Oh nothing," I lied. "I just irritated Hemmings and made him angry at me because I corrected him on something and am proud of myself for it. The usual."

"Of course," she rolled her eyes teasingly, interlocking our elbows as we walked down to the dining hall.

I found myself watching Hemmings at dinner, admiring his smile when he talked to the other professors. I realized I hadn't seen him smile very much before. He's usually angry at me (oops). His smile was very pleasant and despite the fact that I enjoyed making him angry, I almost found myself wanting to make him smile and laugh more.

As I laid in bed reflecting on everything, it occurred to me that this wasn't happening because I was learning to respect him or anything.

I was catching feelings for my English professor.

-

A/N: ooh scandalous

honestly I am such a terrible person, this update is 3 days late but there will be another one tomorrow to hopefully make up for it.

I got to meet 2 of my internet friends this weekend and it was the best weekend of my life <3

Vote/comment/share? x