sixteen

"I want you guys to open your books to page 497 and read those first three paragraphs and then we'll have a class discussion," Professor Irwin, my philosophy teacher said as he walked towards the phone ringing at his desk.

"Hello?... Yes... Yes, she'll be on her way in just a minute." He hung up almost immediately, looking right at me once he did.

"Daisy," he smiled. "Headmistress Morris would like to see you in her office."

The immature class around me made a collective "ooo, someone's in trouble," which I rolled my eyes at and stood from the class and headed out into the hallway.

Professor Irwin was decent. I didn't mind having him teach my philosophy class and I actually enjoyed him as a person a lot. We got along well and I laughed at his awful dad jokes. He was also a pretty young teacher, only in his late twenties, and I know many girls had gone into his office alone with him many times before but I couldn't blame them. He's a very good looking guy.

I wondered as I walked down to the Morris's office what she was calling me in for. The thing that sucked was that my parents kept in close contact with her and were always keeping tabs on me through her, so she was always watching me like a hawk. This was probably something my parents decided to ask her about and now she was going to get on my case about.

I knocked on the door, which was ajar and she called out "come in."

I stepped in quietly, sitting down at the desk in front of her. She was writing something on a piece of paper and then turned and looked at me.

"Good morning, Miss Williams," she smiled. Although she was constantly on my case, she was a very sweet lady.

"Hello," I said back quietly.

"Do you know why you're here?" she asked.

"I'm afraid not, ma'am," I said back, beginning to worry about what it could possibly be.

"It appears that your grade in English has been slipping pretty badly," she said, looking through her papers at my transcript. "Do you know why this might be?"

I stared at her blankly, not saying anything back. She turned away from the papers and looked at me over her glasses.

"Very well," she sighed. "Your parents called me this morning, and I've made a decision that is meant entirely to benefit you and I hope you understand that."

"What is it?" I asked, my heart pounding and my stomach turning over.

"Your parents suggested you go in for tutoring twice a week with your English professor to catch up in the class," she said. "You're falling behind quite a bit. You have Professor Hemmings, correct?"

"No, please don't make me," I said, shaking my head and beginning to panic as though I were at a disco. (Hahaha I'm so funny.) "I'll study more and I'll get my grade up, I promise, anything but that!"

"I'm afraid I've already told your parents that's what I'm going to have you do," she said. "I've also talked to Professor Hemmings and he said he would be delighted to tutor you."

Of course he did. Fucking prick.

"I will do anything but that, please," I begged one last time, though I knew that once Morris had made up her mind, that was the final say.

"I'm sorry, Miss Williams, but this is what I've already decided," she said. "You may go back to class."

I frowned and got up, trudging into the hallway and heading back down to my philosophy class. I almost wanted to cry like a big baby. This was going to be a living nightmare, I already knew.