Chapter 2 ~ Group Project

Jack's POV

Yesterday didn't go as planned. She just ran off! I think I even saw a few tears coming down her face. Man, I really messed up, didn't I? But, I wasn't lying though, I really do feel for her, I can relate to her. I've been there, I'm pretty sure we all have. Maybe not all at the same time, but they will. Even the 'popular' people. She just needs to see that. I need to help her see that. Without knowing, she's just going to beat herself up. No one deserves that... No one!

I'm back in class now. I don't blame her for leaving me. I just followed the door numbers, like she told me. My dad trained me to follow the stars to navigate my way home. It's a little different, but kind of the same idea. During class, I didn't listen again. I know, what is class really for? I kind of zoned out, but the next thing I knew, the teacher was naming names. "Lindy and Peter." he stated. "Amanda and Julie." he continued. "Mark and Carl. Jesse and Isabelle." 'What is this for?' I wondered. "Jack and-" that was my name. The wait to hear the other person's name was lengthy. I couldn't wait. "Alison." the teacher finished. The list went on and on, but I didn't listen. This was a sign. A sign to confirm my mission. This is where I make her understand. "I hope you do well on this group assignment, good luck."

I walked over to Alison. "What are we supposed to do?" I asked sheepishly. She sighed.

"You really don't know?" I shook my head. "What an idiot." she mumbled, just audible enough for me to hear.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked. Even though I already know the answer.

"Believe it or not, smart people listen in school."

"You don't have to be so mean about it." I grumbled. She sighed again. "Well?"

"Well, what?"

"Aren't you going to explain to me what we're doing?"

"How about I just work on the project alone, and you stay out of my way?"

"But I want to help you." I really did. Just... not in that sense.

"Trust me, it's better this way. I do much better independently, so, why don't you just go read a book or something." she sassed. I just stood still. "Do you not know how to read?"

"Of course I know how to read!"

"Then read my lips, and stay out of my way!"

"Please...?" I begged with my puppy dog eyes. "Plllllleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssseeeeeeeeeee!!!!" I continued. "I'm just going to keep on going until you say yes... Pllleeeeaaa-"

"Fine!" she gave in. "We have to do this presentation."

"About?"

"About the solar system. You do know we're in science class, right? And that we're studying astronomy?"

"Y-yeah." I stuttered a bit, a little unsure of the correct answer. "Just to be certain, astronomy is the study of planets, right?"

"Actually, it's all of the celestial bodies." she answered.

Ally's POV

I answered his stupid questions, one after the other. Does he even pay attention in class? Then again, I never listened. It just happened by chance that I was paying attention this time. But I definitely can't show him any weakness. I can't get close to anyone, not after that incident with my father. Trust me, you always get burned in the end. The reason why I didn't want him to help was because he would just let me down. It's better to be strong, confident and independent than relying on someone else. Especially if you don't know you can trust them yet. This project is stupid anyways. Correction, he is stupid. "Basically, we are going to do a model of the planets, with the stars in the background. The sun is obviously in the center, with Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune surrounding it, in that order." I explained.

"What about Pluto?"

"Are you really that dense? Pluto hasn't been considered as a planet since 2006."

"But it's still a celestial body, isn't it?" he smirked.

"Well, yes, but that's not the project we're doing."

"Who died and made you queen of this project?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, did you want to be the queen?"

"Not what I meant."

"Well, a queen must be proper. And you sir, are not proper at all."

"You're no different. We're the same, we've been through it all."

"I warned you not to go near that subject."

"Of the truth?" Now, I was getting angry. His words were annoying me, but his voice had a gentle, helping tone in it. Maybe he's right, maybe... No! The only person I should believe is me, not even my mom. As a single child, I never had a sibling to talk to. My dad was the one I could always go to if I needed help with something. Until... Until... Until 'it' happened. Never mind that. He has no right to tell me how to live my life.

"Don't tell me what to do!" I shouted.

"You're one to talk mrs. Bossy pants!" He shouted back. That is so lame.

"You're lame, you know that?"

"Wow, such a creative comeback." He replied sarcastically.

"You don't have to help."

"But I want to!"

"I change my mind. I don't want you to help anymore."

"What?"

"Get out of my face."

"No!"

"Leave me be! I'll get us both As."

"I won't give up on you." He whispered.

"Whatever." I just dismissed it.