Two's Company

Chapter 13

We walked back in to my house in relative silence. To be honest neither of us knew really what to say to one another. Both of us seemed to be in shock. I took the chance to read his mind for his background. He was an open book in his head whereas Dan had more secrets in his mind was all over the place to read. After I had read this new guys mind on the way home I knew I could trust him. He was so easy to read. There was nothing to hide.

He also had a troubled childhood too. I could feel for him. We have been through similar situations but we have seemed to have made it through. He was like me in every aspect. The eyes. The appearance. The power. The sense of good.

We made it to the gates and I used my ability to open and close them.

“Are they electric?” He wondered, while taking in his surroundings.

“Mmm. Not quite,” I chuckled.

“Not quite. Are you going to tell me?” He quizzed.

I remained silent. He began to fall behind a bit. I heard him chuckle to himself. That was when we came into the view of the house I heard him gasp.

“Wow. This place is beautiful. I wish I lived somewhere like this,” He spoke in wonder.

I loved his voice. It was full of determination and authority. He came over like he could fight anything and it made me feel so secure. I had never felt as safe as I have with him. I took him round the back of the house.

“What? Aren’t we going in?” He asked.

“No. I have somewhere better in mind,” I replied.

I saw him look at me with wonder. I didn’t read his mind. After I had read mind for his background I decided not to read his mind anymore. I thought it was wrong when he was so pure. I knew he would tell me what I needed or wanted to know.

We began walking through the trees and into the forest that lined my garden. I knew the path off by heart now. I seriously think that if I wanted I could walk there in the dark with my eyes blindfolded. I wasn’t clumsy so I never tripped over things out of the ground and neither did he.

“So where are we going? Or are you just taking me out here to murder me and hide the evidence?” He joked.

I laughed. It had been so long since I laughed. I heard my laugh chime and ring with beauty. I looked back and saw him smiling. His smile was beautiful. His whole face seemed to smile. It made his eyes sparkle more. In fifteen minutes we had arrived. I lead him into the Clearing. I felt the magical barrier as I passed through it. I turned and watch him step through. He turned back startled to see what he had stepped through.

He then turned and looked at his surroundings. I could see his amazed expression.

“Wow. What is this place?” he asked.

“I call it the Clearing. Did you feel the barrier? I think it is magic to keep darkness out. I discovered this not long after I came here. It is like a second home,” I smiled at him.

I walked into the middle of the clearing and sat in the lush grass. I moved my hands through the grass to feel it on my skin. I placed my bag down away from me. He came over and sat dead opposite me. Silence came across us. Nobody really knew what to say. It soon became awkward.

“I will start seeing as I have been the one trying to find you. My name is Alec Fletcher. My past has always been hard. My parents were rich and successful business people. They wanted everything in their life to be perfect. They wanted me to be perfect. I knew I was different and I discovered I had abilities. I told my parents about them I thought they loved me and would accept me but they didn’t. They were disgusted. I wasn’t their perfect little child. They sent me away to this border school. I never saw them again. They didn’t visit once. I was there from the age of 9 to my 16th birthday. They never sent me one birthday card or Christmas card. They paid for the school and that was it. I heard they had another child but I had gone past caring. I was bullied and hated. Girls drooled over me and boys hated me. I was a freak,” He explained.