Sacrificing Myself for the Greater Good

Chapter 29

I woke up with a dull ache in the side of my back. I looked around and knew exactly where I was. I was in the hospital area of the facility. I could hear the constant methodical beeping of the heart monitor beside me. I felt the uncomfortable tubes that pierced my arms. The room was pristine white. There was the familiar hospital smell of bleach that engulfed me. I had an oxygen mask placed over my face at the moment.

                I felt the simple white sheets that were covering my body and the hospital gown I was placed in. My hair was sprawled across my pillow and I felt weak. For once it was physically weak. I had to give my body to heal now. Now that I was out of serious danger the healing power would take effect. I would now begin to heal quicker. I worked out I had been into surgery and asleep for roughly a day.

                Everything popped back into my mind. I remembered as the facility got stormed. The guards fighting. Alec with his fire. The seemingly calm after math. Then the fear the overwhelming fear of being unprepared. The shock. The moment of being grabbed. Feeling the knife enter my back. The laugh of Dan as he left the camera.

                Now all I feel is annoyed with myself. I should have been prepared. I should have reacted yet I have froze. They could have killed the others while I had been stood there frozen in my spot. How stupid? I should have reacted. I should have let my reflex energy flow. Now here I am after a knife had been shoved into my back.  Clever.

                Wait. Where the hell was the camera? They had been so desperate to give me that god damn camera and where the hell was it? If it was that important I needed to see it. They obviously wanted to show me something. God, I hated them right now. Dan more than any of them.

                Then I remembered back to Jack. His ability. Did it only take away sight or could it be used for something more? I had a bad feeling that it could be used for something a lot worse than what he demonstrated to us but for now we didn’t know.

                I sighed pulling off the oxygen mask on my face. It was annoying me now and I threw it to the floor. I was slowly feeling stronger. I sat myself up in the bed feeling the dull ache in my back. I sighed. I pulled out the tubes in my arms and watched as they began to bleed before I saw the skin slowly heal back together. I climbed out of the bed a little unsteady on my feet. I looked under my hospital gown and saw the bandages wrapped around the bottom of my back and all around my stomach. I peered round to where the stab wound was and saw a little bit of blood but not much at all. I must be healing by now.

                I wrapped the gown around me and sighed. Look at the mess I was in. I hate hospitals as well. I always seem to find myself in a hospital at some point. I walked to the bed and sat on the end. I wasn’t waiting in here. I needed to find that camera. I got up out of the bed and pulled open the door. I had my head down and crashed face first into someone. Their hands grabbed me around the waist ever so slightly as to not hurt me so that I was steady. I felt the familiar tingles and I knew it was Alec. I looked up into his eyes and he looked down at me with concern and love etched across his face.

                “What are you doing out of bed?” Alec scolded.

                “Don’t you start,” I groaned, as pressed myself against him.

                “You have been stabbed. Yes we heal quicker but come on. Have a day of rest?” Alec pleaded.

                “We have been attacked. We need to get ready,” I replied flatly.