Everything comes down to This

Chapter 32

                Alec’s POV

                I stood at the front of edge of our group. The day had arrived. Our group had travelled to the location written on the back of the note. It was a huge field in the middle of the countryside. No one would be around and because of the other sides connections no one could get through. This meant it was just them and us. We stood about 70 metres apart from each other. I was stood at the head of our group. Xander stood to my right and Alastair stood to my left. The rest of our group were organised behind us holding various guns and weapons. Each of them were trained and had grim faces full of determination.

                Everyone knew what was at stake.

                This day would determine one of two ways in which the Text and the world would go. Everything. All the pain. All the hurt. All the loss. Would come down to today. Hopefully it will go the right way. Hopefully we will win. Hopefully, we will get them out of the way leaving us with just the final guy. Hopefully none of us will die.

                I kept my head held high. My face remained cold and emotionless. I couldn’t show any other emotion. I couldn’t look frightened or scared. I couldn’t show weakness. None of us could. Even now I felt like falling to the floor and screaming until my voice was raw. But I couldn’t I had to remain strong no matter much everything was stacked against us. Remain calm at all costs.

                It was chaos the after we read the letter. Everyone began the preparations. Trucks were being packed. Plans were being made. People were briefed at the task ahead. Everyone was now into the battle situation. You could sense the nervousness in the air. You could taste the fear. Most of all, you could feel the determination and I clung onto that the most.

                It wasn’t long until everyone piled into the various vehicles and we set off. In the matter of a couple of hours we would be there. We would camp over night before the battle in the morning. I was scared. I could feel it pump through my veins. Surprisingly I became a really good leader. I managed to get myself together and offer up plans. I helped people and got people sorted with the help of the brothers. I just hoped things would go in our favour tomorrow. I hoped there wouldn’t be any surprises.

                So here I was stood at the front of our group surveying the others ahead of us. They too had a group of followers with guns and the stood at the front. I could even make out a big fancy tent at the back. That was where the Chairman was. The main person in the know on their side. He had found the first few Text pieces. He knew which side he was in. It is said he has even communicated with the Dark one. The one person we would ultimately have to take down.

                The clouds had covered the sky. They were a dark ominous grey. They swirled in angry patterns across the sky almost like they knew what was about to come. The wind was blowing harshly around the field. It whipped against peoples’ faces blowing sharp cold air onto their cheeks. I could have stopped it but I didn’t. I liked it. It kept me sharp and awake and aware of what was going on around me. I breathed in the cool air smelling the grass and the scent of the countryside. I focussed on anything to hold on to the little composure I had. I felt like it was a pulled string which individual fibres were beginning to snap and I was desperately trying to hold them together.