Breaking Down

Chapter 31

Alec’s POV

I couldn’t believe it. She was gone. Actually gone. I saw the last bits of black smoke disappear into the sky leaving behind no trace of her. Nothing. I felt empty. She had gone. Just like that. Not by her own will either. I saw her look. She looked devastated. Defeated. I felt so alone. I felt totally empty inside. Why? Why did she have to go? What made her see leaving with them as the last option? Why didn’t she come to me? I would have helped her. I would have done anything for her.

She should have come to me. I remember her face, looking so defeated. The light her eyes. The feistiness. The willingness to fight for what was right and to defend herself at all costs. AHHHHHHH. Why didn’t she come to me? This is tearing me apart. So many questions. What will they do to her? They will hurt her. It made me get so angry. This situation was hopeless.

I collapsed onto the ground. I had my head pressed against my chest. I was breathing heavily. We should have listened to the Text more. It warned us but we didn’t listen. God. I am so stupid. I let her go through this. They could be doing anything to her right now. I shuddered at thought. They could be beating her senseless.

Why did she go?

What would they have that would put her in such a compromising position that she felt she had no other option but give herself over. I groaned grabbing hold of my head. I felt scared for her. She wasn’t here. I couldn’t protect her. Obviously they had a way to stop her powers or make her in such a state she couldn’t use them. She would be so defenceless. We need to find her. We need to find her right now.

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Come on mate. We knew she would go to their side. The Text told us she would turn traitor,” Xander spoke.

That was it. I snapped out of whatever haze I was in. I jumped up off of my feet and slammed him into the facility outer wall. I had him by the neck. I was gripping hold tightly. The anger surged through my veins. How dare he? He doesn’t have the right to call her a traitor.

“How dare you? Couldn’t you see her face? The regret. The loss of hope. The loss of fight. That wasn’t the look of a traitor. That was the look of someone scared out of their mind,” I screamed at him.

He did one of his illusion tricks to make it look like snakes were crawling up my arms but I knew him too well. I knew it was fake. I was holding him so tight by the throat that he couldn’t speak. No one could get near us. My emotions were far too erratic and my abilities were roaming free. The wind was whipping around us so much Susan and Alastair were gripping onto a lamp post. They looked at me with a worried expression.

Then I looked back at Xander who now had a shocked and frightened expression who was looking down. I followed his gaze and saw the edges of his shirt catching on fire and began smouldering. My eyes went wide to. I released my grip on him and quickly dropped him in. I sent water spraying over him to stop his shirt catching on fire. He leant over onto his knees and was gasping for breath.

“Sorry,” I sighed.

I caught my breath and got my emotions in check. Why does no one else bar Alex and I have these problems with our emotions. It must be because of the strength of our powers. They are so powerful that when we are in high states of emotion we lose control of the tight bind we have on them.