Chapter 31

I CAN'T WAIT FOR PILLOW TALK!!!! eggfljgfitgfdcx  #Z016

Zayn's POV

Doesn't she think, for fuck's sake?

I honestly don't think Charlie thought any of this through before she decided to just storm over there. I get that she was trying to stick up for me and she's probably frustrated and has had enough of Genevieve's shit- I get it. But it would be different if I went with her; I would feel better that someone was there, cause I think we know I'm not just gonna let her do whatever the hell she wants to Charlie. And I'd gladly take the fall before I let Charlie even think about going to jail.

Okay, so maybe I overreacted a little bit.

But she has to see things from my point of view. What would I say to the kids if something happened to their mum? 'What do you guys want for dinner tonight? Oh, by the way, mum's in jail.' Like, what the fuck is that?

What it comes down to is this. I don't want Genevieve all of a sudden trying to get revenge or some shit. And I don't want anyone in harm's way until we figure out just what the hell is going on.

Because let's face it: this girl is obviously fucking crazy. In my opinion, she's showing all of the same signs that Blake showed before she lost it. And we know what happened there. You just don't know with people like Genevieve.

A former addict that I used to sell to killed herself and tried to kill my kid because of some shit that I did and it makes me a little fucking neurotic.

My kid was hooked up to a ventilator and on continuous monitoring for months; every day I walked in there not knowing if I was going to have to say goodbye to him, or if maybe the next day would be his last. Or the day after that. And then to still be at the point where you're not entirely sure if everything's going to be okay? Yes, he talks better than the average three year old, but he trips over his words sometimes and he's a bit uncoordinated. They assured us everything is fine, but you just never know. And so I get a little crazy; what the hell do you want from me?

I just refuse to take the chance again. I don't want to experience any of that pain that I felt during that time; I wouldn't wish it on my own worst enemy. And I don't know what I'd do if something were to happen to my kids or to the woman who means so much to me that I can't even fucking put it into words.

Yes, I'm hurt. Yes, I'm angry. Yes, I'm really fucking confused. But I'm not gonna go out and just start beating the shit out of people. Maturity, I think it's called. You know, that weird thing that happens when you get older. Or in my case, when your priorities suddenly change.

Oh and maybe a little bit of me lashing out on her has to do with my itsy, bitsy hangover. Just a little. Hangovers make me irritable-which; I know, I know, is my fault. I rub at my temples and collapse back onto the bed.

"Would you maybe mind telling me what the heck just happened," I hear softly. 'm not fighting with her. Hell; we've done enough of it over the past couple of weeks.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, but it comes out distorted since my hands are over my face. I feel the bed dip next to me before fingers start carding through my hair. The action soothes me and makes me feel like a dick all at once.

"I'm sorry," I try again. "I just...I don't want anything to happen to you. You don't know what she's capable of."

She sighs. "I appreciate your concern, but I'm not...Zayn, I'm not the same Charlie who's just going to let everyone walk all over her...including you. And I'm certainly not going to let anyone treat you like crap." I can tell she's trying to find the right words to soften the blow. "I can handle myself. And I can assure you that I'm not going anywhere."