Chapter 38

Zayn's POV

"So no one has anything to say? Maybe...hello Gen...how are you...it's a pleas-"

"Get the fuck outta here," I grit because it's the first thing that pops into my mind. If I tried to manage anything else, I feel like it would involve me getting up and drop-kicking her. And I'd like to think if I get into anything else with her, they won't be so lenient on me.

"Now that's no way to be, babe," she says, and I feel Charlie stiffen next to me before trying to get up. I guess that's something that will always get to her- someone overstepping boundaries. But I put my hand out to stop her; we don't need anymore trouble. Plus, I've got all of this handled. Well...at least I have a plan. "So...is there room for two more?"

"Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. Here," I say, my voice coming out really low. "Now!" I shout, gaining the attention of some fellow diners and startling my kids as I smack my hands on the table. But I'm really sick of going through this stupid fucking game with her, and I realize that no one's going to put a stop to it but me.

"Careful, people are watching," Gen says, with mock concern in her voice. "And you are making quite the scene."

"You know what?" I turn to her abruptly. "I don't know what kind of shit you're trying to pull, but I promise you, I will have the last laugh. And I won't fucking stop until I make sure you have nothing- absolutely nothing."

"Oh, threatening me, are we?" She pretends to be hurt. "But don't worry, it's all good." She looks at her watch before snapping her fingers. "Aw, woops. Gotta run. Adrian, baby. You can stay here." I can feel her staring at me, but I won't give her the satisfaction of even acknowledging a piece of shit such as herself. She'll get hers, trust me. "Don't worry, bossman babe. I won't call the cops on you this time."

I keep my eyes fixed on Marley and my jaw tensed. Marley scoots over, pushing Liyana further toward the wall. "Sit down cause you gonna stay wid us. She sayed dat. Dat's your mummy?" He asks Adrian as he slides in next to him. Adrian nods. "Oh. Wanna eat?" Marley questions him again before turning to Charlie. "Him wants to eat, mummy. Want chocolate milk too? Dat's what I gotted, but Li Li gotted da apple juice."

Genevieve marches off, I guess, but I don't snap out of it until I feel a hand at the base of my back, rubbing soothing circles. "I think you should get the police involved, Zee. Seriously."

I slouch my shoulders. I'm so pissed off that she even thought to show her face here, that she thought it was oh-fucking-kay to come around me. And then to just leave Adrian like that again after calling the cops on me for 'kidnapping?' It's a load of shit. "What are they gonna do? Give me a restraining order? A piece of paper is not going to keep her away. People like her could give two fucks about getting in trouble. I need to find out why she thinks she has the upper hand."

"I know, but...at least it'll be something legal that you have on your side because...I think you know what we need to do," she says softly. I quickly lock eyes with her before both of us trail our gazes over to Adrian.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was thinking it. And I'm even more glad to have such a support system in Charlie.

*

We get home from dinner and I can't seem to shake my mood, so my babe doesn't question it when I grab my stuff and head out to the balcony while she puts the kids to sleep. And I don't think it's gonna take a lot for them to fall asleep, especially not after a nice warm bath and a short story from mum.

"T-thought you'd still be out here," Charlie says quietly, shutting the balcony door. I turn, watching her as she prances over to me in one of my t-shirts and a pair of leggings. She leans her elbows on the railing next to me while I return my gaze towards the backyard, but something's off. I can tell, especially when she keeps peering over at me.