Chapter 57

Charlie's POV

I think her actions stun the both of us to the point where neither one of us know how to react.

"Why are you like this?" I mutter from the ground. I haven't even found it in me to get up. She stands there staring, and the really shitty part is that there is no remorse whatsoever on her end. Shock, but no remorse. "What did I do to you?"

She can't even answer me, which just proves that she has no reason to hate me, other than the fact that she's jealous. And that's awful- being jealous of her own daughter. She's supposed to want the best for me, be my biggest fan...like she always was...until I got pregnant.

Though I have this gut-wrenching feeling that even if I didn't get pregnant, she would have resented me anyway, or at least grown to. Because of Genevieve.

"You-"

"You know what?" I start, wiping at my nose, "I don't want you there, anyway. I don't want you anywhere near me- God-" I pull at my hair frustratingly, "I- why did I even listen to them? I should have known better than to try to get through to you. I should have known the minute you stood up in court and said those things about me like you didn't give birth to me that this was a bad idea. Hell, I should have known the minute you threw me out when I needed you the most that you didn't have my best interests at heart." She continues to stare impassively and I finally make to stand up. "Don't you have anything to say for yourself?"

It's quiet. Shocker.

"Actually, I'm not interested in anything that you have to say. I'm so done with this- with you," I continue, shaking my head. So fucking done. I refuse to keep putting my effort into this because it's a waste of time and valuable energy. I think I see a flicker of regret in her eyes, but that couldn't be because she's heartless. And not to mention, just as soon as the look appears and I try to figure out what it means, it's gone. "I hope you feel like shit," I spit. "God, you...you disgust me! You weren't even gonna tell me my step-dad was dying because of your pride, for fuck's sake! Who does that? You're a...disgusting. You're disgusting, and to be completely honest, I'm ashamed to be your daugh-"

Her jaw clenches. "Not nearly as ashamed as I am to have a whore as a daughter- one that I never wanted in the first place."

I shake my head in frustration. "Have a great life, mom. I pray that someday you let go of all of this hatred, because if not, you're going to die a miserable, miserable woman."

She merely gives me a shrug before backing into the house and slamming the door. I'm so floored by her cold-heartedness that all I can do is let out a dry chuckle and begin stalking off down the sidewalk. Screw the cab, I'll walk.

//

Yeah... I didn't make it too far from Queens to Manhattan before I decided to flag down a cab. And okay, I definitely looked like a crazy person muttering and cursing to myself as I walked down the streets of the city. I mean, I knew it was bad when this lady pulled one of her kids closer to her when walking past me.

So needless to say, I'm fuming by the time I get home. But honestly, like, fuck her.

Like, even if by some small chance she came to her senses- and I can't emphasize how small that chance is, I would have a ridiculously hard time mending my relationship with her. Arguably a harder time than mending the relationship with my dad, and that's saying something.

"I was just texting you to see if you needed some backup," Zayn says to me as I stomp into the livingroom. "You know I have no problems telling Nora to go to hell and the best way to get there..." his voice trails off as I march past him.