Chapter 4: Reminiscence

It was already late at night and Sung Jae was having a hard time sleeping. He adjusted his sleeping figure many times but it didn't work. He tried sitting up and stretched a little and noticed the clock on his bedside table. It reads 2:35 am. He tried lying back again and closed his eyes but every time he did it, he could only see the face of the 7 year old So Hyun.

***

"Sung Jae-ah! Let's play!" So Hyun called out.

The 7 year old So Hyun came inside Sung Jae's room excitedly, holding an expensive looking doll. She was looking for her childhood friend when she was suddenly surprised by a 7 year old boy who was hiding behind the door.

"Boo!" Sung Jae shouted, giving So Hyun a fright.

So Hyun was so surprised and scared that she suddenly cried so loud. Sung Jae didn't know what to do to make his friend stop from crying. He totally forgot that So Hyun didn't like to be frightened and she would immediately cry for it. He tried to calm her by tapping his friend at the back but it's no use, she wouldn't stop crying.

"So Hyunie, please stop crying. You know that it would only make you ugly if you cry." Sung Jae said, hoping it would stop her from crying but it made her cry even more and this time, louder.

"Okay, okay. You're not ugly! You're super pretty So Hyunie. As far as I know, you're the prettiest of all the girls at school so please don't cry anymore." Sung Jae confessed while all red-faced.

At the same time, he wiped So Hyun's tears from her face. So Hyun had finally noticed Sung Jae because of his light touch on her face. She looked up to see her friend's face and noticed that Sung Jae was blushing and was on the verge of tears. She suddenly laughed at what she saw and Sung Jae was so embarrassed that he turned around to avoid being seen like that by his childhood friend.

"Are you crying?" So Hyun asked, trying to sneak a peek at her friend's face.

"I am not, you stupid." Sung Jae countered, wiping his eyes.

"What? Stupid? Why you!" So Hyun smacked her doll towards Sung Jae making him yelp.

"Yah! That hurt, you cry baby!" Sung Jae tried to get revenge on her but So Hyun was already running away from him and headed for the door.

They kept on chasing and running from each other when Sung Jae's mother, Ha Jae Kyung entered the room. She immediately smiled seeing the both of them running around the room. She was very happy every time So Hyun came to visit and play with Sung Jae. She doesn't have a daughter so it made her even closer to So Hyun.

"The both you, please stop. And Sung Jae, you really shouldn't hit girls you know." Jae Kyung scolded.

"Yeah, you tell him auntie." So Hyun teased, sticking out her tongue and Sung Jae just glared back at her.