Chapter 21

"What was going on between you and Tyler today?" Kian asked me over our video call.

"Yes! I was meaning to ask you," Kyla chimed in.

"What do you mean?" I inquired with a frown. "We were just talking. He's a fun person to talk to."

"Is this your way of getting over Seth?" Kian questioned in accusatory tone, "Because Tyler isn't the best option in my opinion."

"I agree," Kyla said.

"Stop being so judgemental," I argued. "I had a good time talking to him today. Seth has done a pretty good job making me feel like shIt in the past few days, it was nice to have Tyler take my mind off of him."

"Aw, hun," Kian cooed, making me roll my eyes.

"Speaking of Seth, he was totally jealous today. I could see it," Kyla said with a smirk.

"Uh huh, I could see the fumes of jealousy radiating out of him," Kian agreed.

"Kian, chill," Kyla said, making me laugh.

As my laughter died, I sighed and sat up straight. "I just don't know. He's so confusing. First, he's all over me and then when I give him the attention and even let him kiss me, he just shuts me out and pretends that none of it happened. Why did he lead me on if he just wanted to end up being such a wimp?"

"It's quite amusing, honestly. It feels like a role reversal. It's usually the girl that's the confusing one," Kyla commented.

"Ava!" I heard my dad call from downstairs.

"I should go," I told them. "I'm grounded, remember?"

We said our goodbyes and I disconnected the video call to go find out what my dad wanted.

*

I was in the cafeteria, waiting in line to buy a bottle of water when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to meet Tyler's piercing blue eyes.

"Hey!" I exclaimed. "What's up?"

"Saw you standing here so I decided to come over and walk to detention together," he explained with a shrug.

"Aww, walk to detention together? That's the most romantic thing anyone's ever said to me," I said in a mocking tone.

He laughed in response while I purchased my bottle of water.

"Do you know what we're doing in detention today?" I asked as we walked together.

"We're cleaning the science labs right?" he questioned, unsure.

I groaned. "It seems more like we're the cleaning committee of the school than students attending detention."

"I know right," he agreed. "I miss the good old days when we sat in a classroom with a teacher who usually dozed off halfway through."

After I finished laughing, I said, "I'm new to this so I haven't had the chance to experience that. I must say it does sound interesting, though."

We neared the science lab and Tyler opened the door for me. Letting me walk in first, he followed suit.

Impressed, I said, "It's nice to know chivalry is not dead."

"I realised that being the perfect gentleman is the one way to a girl's heart," he commented with a shrug.

"Interesting," I said slowly and finally looked around to see if there was a teacher.

Ms. Elaine was standing at the front, waiting for everyone to arrive. I spotted Kyla and Kian so I made my way towards them followed by Tyler. Seth was standing a few feet away from them with his back facing me.