Chapter 25

I froze as Tyler's eyes looked over me with sadness and confusion. The memory of the kiss shared with him replayed in my mind, a wave of guilt washing over me. I felt Seth's hand land on my shoulder but I couldn't take my eyes off of Tyler.

He turned and started walking away from me.

"Tyler!"

He halted in his tracks but didn't turn around to face me. Giving Seth's hand a quick squeeze, I made my way to Tyler. I walked around him and stood in front of him. His eyes averted my gaze and focused on the floor instead.

"Can we talk?" I questioned, tilting my head to catch his eye. "Please."

"What's there to talk about?" he asked, his words laced with bitterness.

"Please, just hear me out," I pleaded, aware that Seth was looking at us very intently.

"Go ahead, you do whatever you like to anyway," he said, giving me a tight smile.

Licking my lips, I looked away and said, "I'm sorry about the other day. It was something that happened in the heat of the moment and I take full responsibility for my mistake."

"Mistake?" he inquired, his eyebrows rising. "I see."

"No! It's just...that's not what I meant. Just-"

"Ava, I don't need any explanation from you. Everything does seem self-explanatory," he said in an accusatory tone.

"No, please, Tyler," I begged, feeling helpless by every passing minute. "I agree that I did kiss you back but I wanted to tell you later that I do like you a lot but just...not in that way."

"Of course," he responded sarcastically."

"I'm really sorry," I said. "I hope we can work through this. I don't want this to ruin our friendship."

"Are you with Seth now?" he questioned, ignoring what I just said.

I swallowed and cleared my throat to buy some time before looking up at him and nodding.

"Well, he's a lucky guy," he commented with a shrug. "I hope he makes you happy."

I felt a lump rise in my throat seeing the look in Tyler's eyes. Without another word, he turned and walked away from me only topping to exchange a look and a nod with Seth. Inhaling deeply, I tried my best to not break down.

Honestly, I deserved this for not making it clear then and there. First of all, I shouldn't have kissed him back and secondly, I should've just told him that I didn't feel the same way.

Seth walked towards me hesitantly. "What was that about?"

I felt my mouth dry up. One problem dies off and another one rises.

"There's something you need to know," I started, clearing my throat.

"What is it?" he asked, sounding uncertain.

"That day when you walked in on Tyler and I in the Science Lab, he was about to kiss me," I said quietly.

"Yes, I kind of figured that bit when I walked in on you guys and I'm trying my best to forget about it," he commented. I could tell he was trying to not sound annoyed and lighten up my mood.

"Well, after you left, I decided to leave as well since things got awkward with Tyler," I explained as he waited patiently. "But...he kissed me."

Seth's wide eyes were fixated on my face as he tried to digest what I had just told him.

"Was this the day we kissed as well?" he asked.

I looked away, not being able to meet his eyes. He nodded slowly as if getting his answer.