Chapter 37

Seth's POV

I opened the door to see Carla standing on the other side, looking fresh as ever in a summer dress.

"Hey," she said, flashing me a smile. "Do you mind if I come in?"

If this was a month ago, I would've gladly let her in whilst dying a little inside but trying my best to not show it. However, that wasn't the case this time as I moved out of the way to let her in.

I walked behind her to the living room and watched her sit down on the couch. She flattened her dress out with her palms, buying time.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked, getting to the point.

"I wanted to talk," she started, "about last night."

The sour memories that I had been trying to push away came rushing back to me. I sighed and sat down on the armrest of the couch.

"I'm sorry for-"

"Pushing me away?" she finished for me, cocking her head. With a nod, she added, "Yeah, I thought so. But that's not what I want to talk about."

I waited for her to continue.

"For a while now, I've wanted to reconnect and reignite what we had," she said. "At camp, I saw you with Ava and I instantly knew what you were trying to do. It was pretty obvious, Seth."

I felt a wave of embarrassment wash over me and I cleared my throat. "You always knew how much I liked you."

"I know," she agreed, averting her gaze. "After we came back from camp, I heard rumours that you and Ava were in a relationship and to be very frank with you, I was beyond surprised. I didn't expect you to go that far."

"I admit that it was all an act in the beginning," I said, "but I really fell for her, Carla. I love her."

"I know," she said, nodding. "I realised that last night. After you pushed me away, of course. I'm sorry about that. I shouldn't have forced myself on you like that."

"It's okay," I said, my mouth forming in a hard line. I inhaled deeply and asked, "What's your point here, Carla?"

"I just wanted to clear the air," she responded, sitting up straight. "I wanted to apologise and let you know that I'm here for you whenever you need me."

My mouth parted, unsure of what to say.

"You don't have to say anything," she jumped in. "I'm happy for you and Ava."

"A little late for that," I mumbled under my breath, exhaling.

"What'd you mean?" she asked, her eyebrows pulling in together.

"She refused to give me another chance," I said softly, looking at the floor. "I don't blame her."

"But why would she not give you another chance?" she asked, confused. "After everything you said on that stage..."

I hesitated before saying, "But then she saw us together. I don't think she'll be able to trust me again."

"Have you tried talking to her?"

"Of course I have," I exclaimed. I then proceeded to tell her everything in detail. She listened patiently. The look of disbelief on her face when I told her what the note Ava got said was enough to confirm that she wasn't the one who sent it.

My voice caught in my throat. Swallowing the lump, I continued, "I've tried everything. I really screwed up this time."

She stood up and sat beside me. Gently, she placed her hand on mine and gave it a light squeeze.