Chapter 38

I watched the second hand finish another circle of the clock and the minute hand move to signal it was 12:01 am. I glanced at my phone again and had an inner battle on whether or not I should reach for it.

Ever since Carla left, her voice kept echoing in my mind.

Give him another chance.

There was no denying that I still loved him with all my heart. No matter how much he hurt me, my love for him hadn't wavered at all. But the question was, could I trust him again? You know what they say, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I didn't want to give him another chance simply because I was going to be giving him an opportunity to misuse my trust again.

I shut my eyes and exhaled, my thoughts wandering to the night before. I pictured his broken face and the way his voice cracked. The stray tear that had rolled down his cheek. It broke my heart.

Forcing my eyes open, I sat up straight and crossed my legs as I reached for my phone. Opening my chat box with Seth, I watched the cursor blink as my thumb hovered, deciding whether or not I should text him.

You up?

I hit send and threw my phone a few feet away as my breathing quickened. What was I going to say if he replied? What if he doesn't want me back anymore cause of the drama I've done over the past few days?

I clearly did not think this through.

My phone buzzed twice and I shut my eyes, afraid to check if he responded. After hearing the second hand complete another round, I reached for my phone and unlocked it to see two messages from Seth.

Yes

What's up?

I started typing a response and hit send.

Do you think you can meet me at that building?

Now?

Now.

Alright, I'll be there.

As soon as he said that, I realised the problem of the situation I had landed myself in. The following list contains Ava Nelson's problems in a concise manner.

1. It was past midnight, how was I going to sneak out of the house?

2. How was I going to get there? It's not like I can just drive Dad's car out of the garage quietly and get away with it.

3. Why did I have to call him to an abandoned creepy building past midnight? What if I get murdered there tonight? Is it wise of me to go there alone at this time?

As all these questions ran in my mind, I pulled on a pair of jeans and grabbed a beanie from my wardrobe since I was not having a good hair day.

I opened my door and tiptoed down the stairs. Grabbing my shoes, I shut the door behind me quietly, letting the handle go slowly. I put my shoes on in the driveway and stood there idle for a minute, unsure of what to do next. That's when it struck me. I could take mom's bicycle, it was one with gears unlike mine. 

I made my way around the house, spotting mom's bicycle. Thankfully the bicycle was not locked and all I had to do was quietly roll it out of the gate. Mentally recalling the directions in my head, I embarked on my journey to win back my love.

My hands were cold by the time I reached the abandoned building. I left the bike against a wall and began to make my way up to the top. I ran my numb hand through my rough hair to try and tame it. 

I stepped out into the cold night and there he stood, his back facing me. His hands were tucked into the pockets of his jeans as he stared at the sparkling skyline laid out in front of us. Taking a shaky breath, I walked towards him.

"It never fails to amaze me," I said out loud, approaching him. 

He turned around to look at me and the small smile that tugged on his lips made my heart flutter. 

"What...?" he trailed off.

I tilted my head to the view in front of us. "This."

His gaze followed my gesture and he let out a small puff of air. "You see a different view every time you're here; more yellow lights or more white lights. Sometimes it's brighter, sometimes it's darker. More stars and the moon or none of it. It's like a different personalised painting every time."

I smiled faintly. 

"I'm sure you didn't call me here to admire the view," he said, turning his body to face mine and his brown eyes meeting mine.

My gaze faltered as I tried to look away. "I wanted to talk to you."

"I'm listening."

My eyes snapped up to meet his. Clearing my throat, I began, "I...I-I'm sorry."

His eyebrows twitched, the amused smile from his face fading. "You're not the one who should be saying that."

"No, I am," I said quickly. "I...I was being stupid and stubborn and just...difficult. I should've just thought things through before making rash decisions. I'm not going to lie, I was hurt. I was more than hurt when I found out that-"

"Don't finish that sentence," he whispered, grabbing my hands. A pained look flashed across his face. "I know what I did was wrong but please, believe me when I say that I love you, Ava. Only you."

"I do," I responded, tears brimming the corners of my eyes. "I do believe you."

"I love you, okay?" he said, cupping my face.

I nodded, sniffing. "I love you too."

He leaned down to press his lips against mine but pulled back a moment later. "What made you change your mind?"

"Carla came over today and she was quite convincing," I admitted.

His eyebrows pulled in together. "She did?"

I nodded. "And she told me she wrote the note."

His frown deepened. "That...that doesn't sound right."

"Why?"

"I told her about the note and I'm positive that she is not the one who wrote it," he claimed. "I know her enough to know that she would never do such a disgusting thing."

"But then why would she tell me she did that..." I asked, my voice trailing off as realisation settled in. 

I looked up at Seth and his frown settled as he came to the same realisation. 

"Wow, I hate myself for hating her now," I voiced out. 

He stared at me for a moment before letting out a long breath. He pulled my hands towards him and around him. I let them slide around him and rested my face on his chest as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I could feel his soft breaths as his chest expanded and contracted.

I don't know how long we stood like that for but neither of us cared. We were together and we were in each other's arms and in that moment, that was all that mattered. 

We were content and we were going to be just fine...at least for the time being. 

A/N- Well, that's that. I know I have been horrible with updates but my schedule really is too tight for me to be able to take time to do anything, let alone write. Thank you for all your support and for being so so patient. I don't think I will be writing anything new on Wattpad at the moment cause I just don't have the time for it. You can, however, follow me and you'll get a notification when I put up something new. You can read my other book: My Best Friend's Brother (I wrote it when I was 14 and never came around to editing it so keep that in mind when you read it xD) 

Thank you, once again. Love you guys <3