Chapter 28

"Ava!" Seth's mom exclaimed as she opened the door to greet us. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Amanda."

She had an apron tied around her waist above her red dress. She shared the same flawless, dark hair as Seth. Stepping aside, she made way for us to enter.

"It's nice to meet you, too," I said with a polite smile.

"Dinner's almost ready," she said. "Why don't the two of you sit in the living room for some time?"

"Do you need any help?" I offered and she shook her head.

"I'm good," she replied, her smile not moving an inch.

Seth placed a hand on my lower back and steered me towards the living room. Sitting on the couch, he patted the spot next to him. I sat next to him and he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"Seth," I scolded and tried to get out of his grasp. "What if your mom comes?"

It didn't seem to bother him as he wrapped his other arm around me and pulled me back to him. He kissed my cheek and rested his chin on my shoulder.

With a shrug, he said, "That doesn't matter. She already knows you're my girlfriend."

"Well, it's going to be embarrassing for me," I said, trying to wriggle out of his grasp but he wouldn't budge.

"Nice touch with the whole offering to help thing," he commented. I turned to look down at him. He stared up at me with a little smile on his face.

"I was genuinely offering help," I retorted, making his smile widen.

"Either way, you're off to a good start," he said, moving his face away and patting me on the shoulder.

"Is that so?" I asked, turning to wrap my arms around his neck.

His eyes widened slightly but he managed to recompose himself quickly. He wrapped his arms around my waist and gave me a cute nod.

I grinned in response as he moved his lips closer to mine.

"Seth! Dinner's ready," Amanda called out, causing me to jerk away from him.

Seth let out a breath through his nose and let his shoulders sag. We walked together with our hands intertwined together. Amanda sat at the head of the table and Seth and I sat opposite to one another.

"I hope you like chicken," she said, serving a piece of stuffed chicken breast on my plate along with some salad.

"It looks really good," I commented, making her smile at me.

"So, how long have the two of you been together?" she questioned.

"A few weeks," Seth responded, making her frown at him.

"You know, Ava," she said, turning to face me. "He didn't tell me about you at all. I only found out last night which is why I insisted on having you over for dinner tonight."

I glanced up at Seth to see him shaking his head with an eye roll.

"Tell me all about it," she insisted.

"Well, I got a letter on Valentine's Day from Seth asking to be his date," I began. She raised her eyebrows, surprisingly impressed with her son's skills. "But it was just one date and ever since then, he's been bugging me."

She chuckled. "Sounds like my son."

After dinner, all of us had settled on the couch with a bowl of chocolate pudding that Amanda had made.