17. mistaken

A/N: I know I say this quite a lot, but...it's a bit PG-13 up in here this time.

Enjoy ;)

~~~~~~

C H A P T E R S E V E N T E E N:
mistaken

~~~~~~

M A T C H E S

"Jamie?" Parlia walked down the steps slowly, noticing the arm of his mate wrapped around my waist. Someone laughed and I heard the sound of water pressure.

Sighing, Jamie looked up towards him, my arm falling slightly from her shoulders, my face hidden from his sight by the hood. "Hey, Parlia." She mumbled, lowering her head. I knit my brow, watching her give up the tough mask and hand it over to the posh looking mate of hers. It pissed me off a little.

"Where you going with Marvin." He asked, holding the railing when he made it to the bottom of the flight of stairs.

Jamie ignored the mistake, "I have to take him somewhere, he's a little woozy, is all." Her small voice had me turning my head away from the plethora of sounds bursting through my head. At least she could lie a little about what I had going on. The two of them barely knew what was happening anyway.

Parlia rose his head, looking down at us, even as I stood higher than Jamie and him. Wasn't I...wasn't I shorter than Parlia a few weeks ago? "He can go on his own, Jamie." The supremacy in his alpha voice had my blood boiling. He was looking so far down on us, like we were scum, even when one of us was his mate.

But I obviously knew he didn't care much for the mate thing.

I glanced down at Jamie who looked flush with embarrassment and lowered her head to him, farther than she should. She stayed bowed until Parlia cleared his throat, nodding towards the ground. "Marvin..."

"It's Matches." I mumbled, looking away from him and listening to the crinkle of paper on fire, a cigarette.

He rose a brow, "What?"

Even as I ached with pain that dropped from the mer air, I couldn't help my blood boiling in a different way. I may not enjoy Jamie's company a lot, but I had more respect for her than her own mate. No one should be treated like that, especially by someone they love dearly.

I lifted my head, my face coming into his view, "My name is Matches, Alpha Parlia." The words tasted bitter on my tongue and I watched him twitch for a moment, losing the composure once he realized who I was and what I'd caught him doing.

"Oh," he cleared his throat, reaching down and holding her face lightly as he rose it. He gave her a vague, blank look and I felt my eyes turn silver with anger. "Don't hang out with him."

Jamie's eyes widened, "What? But, Par, this is-"

He shook his head, staring her straight in the eyes, captivating her ever cell, "Not him. I'll get jealous."

Involuntarily scoffing, I saw him glare at me. Parlia barely had emotion in his face and none in his voice. But I still noticed the crease in Jamie's brow as he released her chin. Someone was mowing the grass, "Who do you-"

"Okay, I'll think about it, Parlia." She mumbled, bowing quickly before pulling me to the door and pushing me down the steps quickly, like she was terrified he'd follow us.

"Jamie, what the-" I just couldn't finish my sentences today. A piercing pain shot my mark and it hit every right vein, as if Livator was touching me himself. "Woah, woah, woah, woah..." I let out a shaky breath, stumbling towards the table, Jamie trying her best to support me. My body went hot all of a sudden and I growled low in my throat, my hands gripping the side of the table. I didn't notice the way Jamie paused, her pupils dilating.