48. a red so suiting - part one

A/N: Yes. Hello. Hi. Sorry.

To it then? Alright, let's go and...

Enjoy ;)

~~~~~~

C H A P T E R 
F O U R T Y-E I G H T:
a red so suiting
part one

~~~~~~

yel: it was sunny.

The day it happened, the sun was shining, like it wouldn't ever stop.

vio: wasn't it emily's second birthday?

venus: yeah, the whole pack was excited for the party, a barbecue.

The pack was practically vibrating with excitement for the Alpha's daughter's birthday.

jus: but, elwood was acting odd.

Elwood wanted to be excited, of course he did. His little girl was turning two and there was going to be a party that his pack had set up, but a dark nest of nats had settled in his stomach since the morning.

Nothing had gone right, nothing felt okay, and Elwood was choosing to ignore it.

black: he did just end the war in the south. i remember how on edge every warrior was.

After the war between Ladin Run and Dark Sky, two packs he'd tried to placate and then end their woe, he was trying to not let every sound trigger a defensive response.

"El!" Elwood heard his mate's call from down the hall and he took a deep breath, eyes stuck on the open window in his office. He thought he should close it, but he was stuck in his chair. Someone glued him to it and his eyes to the trees swinging in the wind outside.

There was a knock on door, snapping Elwood's gaze to the opening slab of wood. His lungs released their breath as Mary shut the door behind her, making her way to her husband's desk. She'd seen him like this enough times to know now. Her mate was a strong wolf, but he was still half human and the amount of war he'd seen couldn't be shaken away with a kiss and a joke, like most of their worries were. Mary knew how to handle him and he knew she wouldn't let him sit in here all day.

"What're you doing, Woods? Everyone's been looking for you." She whispered as he turned in his chair. Her hands reached for his hair and she stepped between his legs, letting her mate's arms curl around her hips.

He shrugged, laying his head against her stomach, "Just sittin'." His voice faded into the fabric of her t-shirt and she rushed her fingers through silky dark tufts, wishing he wouldn't just sit on his own. But she knew he need to from time to time. She may have been a weaker female, but she was the Luna and leader of this pack. Her job was to support and she wondered if there was a way to support her mates troubles, since she'd seen his shoulders falling with them.

"You wanna join the party? Emily's telling stories to the other pups and you know how good her stories are." She smiled as Elwood chuckled into her skin.

He nodded, "I will, just let me hug my mate for a moment longer."

They stood in their own silence for bit, the rising anxiety in Elwood's stomach at bay. She raked through his hair and he held her waist, breathing in her almond scent. Sometimes, the only thing a wolf needed was his mates hands in his hair and their scent swimming in their heads.