Farewell

There is an important note at the end of the story, please do check it! This note is added late because I forgot to.

Wow what is this, 1k votes omg! That is so surprising, shocking, BUT I'm SO HAPPY. Thanks a lot guys, for all your support! :D

AND ALSO! This story was placed #28 in Historical Fiction(I don't know when, but it was). WOW! That's such a big milestone to me OMG! Really, once again thanks a lot for all your support guys!

Chapter 19.

---

Author's POV:

Flowers in the garden have lessened so much, replaced by abundant light green-coloured new leaves looking silky under the brightly-shining sun. The heat has been increasingly unbearable day by day, and that is how people know summer has arrived. Still, the wind blows, minimising the heat felt by many in the palace.

The green colour relaxes everyone's mood, just as how it does towards Emperor's. He strolls around the palace followed by his servants and guards, without a destination. His presence tenses all other palace servants and guards on their duties, and they drop to their knees, their heads touching the grounds, kneeling to his direction in fear.

He does not care for them, and passes by them as though they are all invisible to his eyes.

"How is Seventh Princess doing?" He asks his eunuch.

"When Seventh Princess marriage to the North was first mentioned at the Court, Her Highness threw tantrums and refused to eat. However, after some time, Her Highness has calmed down. When Her Highness' marriage is brought up again at the Court, your humble servant heard that Seventh Princess never throws any tantrums and carries on with her daily routines as usual." His Majesty is reminded of what he asked Third Prince to do. He thinks, that perhaps his prince has done a good job in persuading his princess to accept the marriage.

He says nothing and continues taking light steps, partially enjoying the scenic view of his palace, partially unable to keep his mind off the state and some harem matters. Though he is still considerably young, many issues have been occupying his mind, causing the appearance of some strands of white hair. No one dares to speak of it, not even the Empress, though he knows of it, for it still is his own body. He silently chuckles in his heart, at how he no longer trusts anyone in the palace he calls home, at how he no longer trusts anyone in the Empire he owns.

"Who is that?" He points towards the figure of a woman dressed slightly more lavish than princesses, throwing stones into the pond, his body leaned slightly towards the direction of Eunuch Fan. Eunuch Fan's eyes follow his finger, squints and then nods.

"That is the newly-chosen concubine, given name Lily, Concubine Leanne." His Majesty only silently stares at Concubine Leanne, then without any signal, heads towards her while his servants and guards hurriedly follow him from behind.

"Why are you throwing these pebbles into the pond? What if you injure the fishes inside?" Concubine Leanne spins around in shock and her face turns pale as she recognises the face and the grandeur he brings with him. In fear, like a newly-born kitten that has just encountered a lion, she drops down to her knees, hiding her trembling hands behind her sleeves.

"I-I should not throw pebbles into the pond! I have wronged! I deserve punishment!"

"Why should I punish you?"

"Be-because I have injured Your Majesty's belonging."

"My belonging?"

"Everything under the sky belongs to Your Majesty. I should not have destroyed what belongs to Your Majesty." Emperor just keeps silent as he listens to the words that he knows, are meant to lick his feet. He has grown sicker and sicker of those kind of words, yet more and more used to them. He remembers, that of everyone he has ever met, only Magnolia has never said those kind of words. He remembers how those lips of hers only ever keep shut or speak of the truth.