Encounter

Chapter 31.

I know it has been sometime since I last updated, 2 weeks or more? I'm very sorry. Well, I'm currently experiencing the passing of someone I dear deeply, and at the same time have to take exams(everything has been hard on me).

I don't have much to say either, so read on!

---

It is just like any other day, when the two friends sit in silence, side by side, their hands busy with needlework. Occasionally they would talk, but at times they fall into silence. That is the kind of life they are living. Not enjoyable at all, though indeed they never have to worry about punishments nor starvation. Before, they were always busied with chores. Now, there exists an empty feeling within them. To them, it feels weird and unfamiliar. But they have to get used to it, of course. They have years ahead of them. Years, which they would have hoped to be days instead.

When they notice the commotion going on outside Jade's living quarters, they simultaneously lift their heads and stretch their necks outwards, for a better view of the source of the noise.

That is when they both notice a group of palace servants and eunuchs entering their rooms hastily, in their hands are a wide variety of things unfamiliar to them.

"Who are you people?! How dare you barge in without Mistress' permission?!" In the blink of an eye, Rowena snakes her arms around Jade, her eyes sharp and wary of the group of strangers. At the same time, a naturally-beautiful woman with her hairstyle less elaborate than usual enters from the entrance, her outfit is a soothing sky blue colour which fades into white at the ends. Her long and fluttery white shawl drapes around her arms and dances along with the wind around her as she walks. Her usual red lips is now replaced by a faint tint of white to draw out the image she wants to portray-a woman longing for her lover.

"Y-Your Highness Consort Lana!" They both dip to their curtsy position, deep and trembling in fear with the big group of servants she brings along with her.

"Oh my, get up. There is no need for such formalities." Consort Lana carefully takes her steps and lowers her body, stretching out her arms in the process to help Jade up. Jade cautiously receives her hands and pushes her weight up from the floor, till her eyes are level to Consort Lana's.

"You must be surprised. I did not mean to shock you."

"W-what is going on?"

"From today onwards, I will be teaching you music and dancing, and women's rites."

"Uh?" The confused looks on Jade's face only stirs up a smile from Consort Lana. She gently strolls towards the Mistress and holds her arm, guiding her towards the low table in the middle of the room.

"I have received the permission from Empress. Sit down first while I explain to you." And they both settle down on the seats, the gap between their grace can be clearly seen by almost every servants and eunuchs in the room. They are all well-aware that Jade used to be a servant.

"You are Crown Prince's Mistress. You should and must behave and act like one. This is not for you, but for Crown Prince. That is why I will be personally teaching you everything a Mistress should at least know." As Consort Lana finishes her sentence, Jade looks around at the servants and eunuchs. In their hands are several colourful newly-sewn dancing dresses, a Chinese zither and rolls of books.

She does have a lot to catch up on if she wants to become a proper Mistress.

---

Months have passed. The gardens are no longer colourful as they used to be. They are green; dark green and light green, a combination of colour so fresh that it soothes any eyes beholding it. The weather has become hotter and hotter too, and perhaps it is at its peak now. Everyone is sweating and groans and moans can be heard throughout the palace, all complaining about the heat. Only being under the tree can rid the palace servants off the heat slightly, while the other luckier high-ranking servants can enjoy the cooling effect of ice blocks with their masters-the Imperial Family members.