Jade Leon

Chapter 28! Please do read the important announcement at the end of this chapter.

---

Today is supposed to be the day, the day where he will and only will be grinning from ears to ears. He has always pictured himself to be laughing delightedly, dressed in red-coloured robes, with layers so many his shoulders would be sore by the end of the day. Back then, he believed that the soreness will gradually subside as the time draws near. Now, he cannot stop asking himself, why is he dreading that moment to come?

There is an indescribable feeling that has never left his heart since several days ago. His heart feels heavier and heavier with every breath he takes. He is very clear that he should not be feeling this way, but instead should be feeling the exact opposite. Then...why?

"Your Highness Crown Prince, the time is nearing soon."

His gaze travels below him, where his eyes outline the figure of a girl that has been serving him for almost her entire life, her body is lowered into a deep curtsy, wrapped by a bright orange-coloured dress with some quite detailed embroideries. Cherry's position conjures up the image of Jade.

The scene repeats itself over and over again, in his mind, only to wrench his heart further while he drives out the a facade to mask away his hesitation-an empty expression. He remembers very clearly how his Mother Empress pushed Jade out of anger, out of disagreement. But what carves itself deepest into his mind, is Jade's contradictory expression. Her lips curl into a sweet smile, a smile he has always liked. However, into her eyes, he finds an extreme level of melancholy. Is it because...Jade has never even once loved him? Every time he manages to collect his courage to ask her, the fear of receiving the utmost unwanted answer seems to halt the words, stuck in his throat.

"Your Highness?" Cherry's voice takes for a lower turn in the middle of his deep thoughts.

"Let us go."

---

The first marriage ceremony is over. The invited noblemen, ministers and generals are all warming the seats specially spread out and reserved for them, emptying bottles and bottles of wine in such a joyous occasion. When they joke, he laughs with them. When they talk, he simply listens. When they repeatedly congratulate him, he thanks them.

He is seated right on the second small stage, in his most luxurious-looking golden crown, fastened with two gleaming pins in the shape of dragons, while Emperor and Empress sit on the big stage in the middle. The golden embroideries at the edges of his sleeves are also in the shape of dragons circling around mysterious orbs, represented by jades. His eyes are only and always on the guests seated down the stage, or on his Mother Empress who at times sends discreet glares at him, as a signal for him to converse with his new bride.

Shana Wales, now Crown Princess, can only stare at the scrumptious platters of food spread before her and Crown Prince, her official husband, like an empty shell, though her ears are apparently like an owl's, sharp enough for her to react whenever someone mentions her name.

Inside, she feels numb, she feels nothing at all. She does not feel happiness nor sadness. She is born for this. Her mother has been repeatedly telling her that she is the future Crown Princess, that she always have to behave like one. Thus, she has been receiving trainings stricter than her younger sisters.

But when the news about her becoming the future Crown Princess reached her ears through the winds, only her parents were extremely delighted. She only felt like she was fulfilling her duty befitting of a filial and obedient daughter. Even now, she still feels so. Her parents gave her life, and she is returning them with family honour and luxury. With that, she must completely free her hands from her life, she must give up her life, to a man she has only met once, even just for a short while, to a stranger. So, she, like a tamed pet dog, sits still in her position, making sure that she keeps her smile unwavering to express her faked happiness, especially when all the Imperial Family members are present. The newly-wed Imperial couple has never talked, not even once, throughout the entire ceremony and celebration.