Chapter Fourteen -- I See How It Is

-- Liam's POV --

I was... Speechless. Did he really..? Is that really how he felt? I couldn't do anything for the longest moment. And then I just broke down and cried. He completely just broke it off. I... After all we'd been through... For nothing. That's how I was feeling. It was a good hour or two before I finally got up off the floor and trudged up the stairs, flopping onto my bed. When that front door slammed shut, I instantly felt like my life had no purpose. I buried my face in my pillow and sobbed, eventually just drenching the pillow. I set my head to the side and let out a long, incredibly shaky breath, and paused entirely when I looked at the bedside table. There, a picture stood in a frame, capturing the moment of when I proposed to Niall. I was in a tux, on one knee, with the box held open in my hands. Niall had his hands over his mouth and in the black-and-white picture, you could tell he was incredibly shocked. I sat there completely still for a few minutes before I started bawling again. Even though my vision was blurred, I opened the bedside table and pulled out a box. There was a piece of paper taped to it that said "The Best Moments of My Life". It was full of pictures of Niall and I - in our best moments. Pictures of us pressing our lips together, us hugging, us when we first got Atlas, a few pictures with his mum... I felt like burning all of them, but then again, I really didn't. 

Suddenly, I heard the front door open and Louis call out after a little while, "Liam?" I didn't even try to wipe my face off and try to make it seem as if I wasn't crying. "Niall?" He called out. I opened the bedroom door but when I got out into the hallway, my knees gave out and I fell to the floor. Louis obviously heard this because he called my name again and came rushing up the stairs. I leaned against the wall and continued to sob as he came to my side.

"Liam?? Liam, what's wrong? Where's Niall?" He cried.

I couldn't speak. I couldn't say a thing. I could barely even breathe, and my nose was so stuffed that every time I swallowed my ears either needed to be popped or they popped. He continued to ask me what was wrong and console me, although to no avail. I continued to stay silent and try to calm my breathing. When I finally calmed down, though still crying, we just stared at eachother for a brief moment until I lunged forward into a hug with open arms. I grasped his shirt in my hands and cried. Finally, when he asked me what was wrong, I pulled away and let out a long breath.

"Niall... He..." I paused.

"He what?" He questioned anxiously.

"He... Called off the wedding... He called off everything..."

"What?! No, when? Why?" 

"A few hours ago... He just... He asked me if I thought we were too young to get married, he started hyperventilating, told me he wasn't ready and stormed out..." I cried. 

He pulled me back into a hug and we just sat there in silence. He sat next to me with his arms wrapped around me and then finally said after a good ten minutes, "I'm... I'm so sorry Liam.. Oh my god. I can't even believe this." 

"I... Need to go for a walk." I sighed. "To... C-clear my head..."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No... I need to be alone..." I got up and he followed me down the stairs, offering to 'hold down the fort' while I was gone. I slipped on my sweater for the chilly weather and put on my shoes. Just as I opened the door and was about to leave, I looked over my shoulder and said, "Thanks, Lou... For being here for me."

He smiled. "Anytime." 

With that, I closed the door behind me and started walking. I had my hood up and pulled my sleeves over my hands, walking down the street. I couldn't believe this. I looked down at the ring on my finger and a single tear escaped my eye. I decided to take a walk through the park, although what I was going through really wasn't just a walk in the park. 

Just as I lifted my head, I saw from a distance what seemed to be Zayn and Niall sitting on a park bench. And they were pretty close. As I got closer, they obviously didn't know it was me because of my hood. It was definitely them, and Zayn had his arm wrapped around him.

Then I realized... Niall didn't think we were too young. He was cheating on me, with Zayn. 

I walked right up to them and pulled down my hood, tears streaming down my face. They both just stared at me in shock and Zayn pulled his arm away. I looked Niall in the eyes and then Zayn and then back to Niall and whispered, "Oh. I see how it is."

I ripped the ring off my finger and threw it to the ground, giving Niall a heartbroken look and giving Zayn a disgusted one. And I stormed off, ignoring Niall's calls, telling me it 'wasn't what it looked like'. 

Yeah right.