Chapter Six - A New Addition

(butterfliess)

Liam's POV

We ended our conversation with Niall's mum and she left. Wow, she sure did change. I'm glad Niall would finally be able to have a good relationship with her.

I jumped over to my laptop and turned it on, sitting on the couch. I surfed the internet, searching up song lyrics on google, and came across an ad for free german shepherd puppies. One puppy caught my eye; an adorable puppy by the name of  Atlas. 

I called Niall over and pointed excitedly at the screen.

"Niall! Look!! Can we get him? Please?" I pleaded.

"We already have enough on our hands, Liam..." He said. Normally he'd be completely up with it, but he was still sick and his eyes told me he was extremely tired.

"Please, Niall? Trust me, he'll be an amazing addition to our family. You know what they say; dogs are a man's best friend. You'll have somebody to cuddle with when I'm gone!"

"Liam..." He sighed.

"Please... Having this dog would mean SO much to me, Niall. I had a german shepherd when I was younger; he was killed right before my very eyes. Please, Niall, Please..." I begged.

His eyes went softer. "Okay, Liam, if he's still avalible, we can get him. He is an adorable dog... And he is free..." He mumbled on and on while I, excitedly, dialed the phone number on the page.

A girl picked up. "Hello?" She asked.

I was so excited I could barely speak. "Hi, hi, hiii..." I said. She laughed lowly. "I'm calling about the german shepherd puppies."

"Oh, yes, would you like one? All three are still here."

"Great, yes, I would love one. I seemed to connect with Atlas a lot, would I be able to take him?"

"Yeah, of course. When would you like to pick him up? I also have a collar and leash here if you want it. And I have a few carriers here and a blanket."

"Yeah, I'll take them, I don't want the puppy to be running around in my car while I'm driving. Can I pick him up like, right now? Sorry, I'm so excited to get a german shepherd puppy." I said. She laughed slightly again. "I had one when I was a kid, and he died right in front of me. He was attacked by anot-" I stopped. I felt the tears. "Sorry..."

"No, no, it's okay, I understand. I had a puppy when I was younger; she was shot by a farmer. And yeah, sure, come over and get him. I'm sure he'll just love you." 

I wiped them away and took a deep breath. "Thanks... I mean, he was attacked by another dog... Actually, he was basically attacked by three other german shepherd males... Not pretty... Anyways, okay, where do you live, though? I never quite caught it."

"That's because I never told you." She laughed and I laughed with her. "Just kidding." And she told me exactly where she lived, and even gave me some directions. 

"Wanna come with?" I asked Niall. He shook his head. 

"I don't wanna scare the puppy with my coughing and sneezing." He smiled.

I nodded and jumped out the door, unlocking my car and sliding inside. I drove right to where she told me she lived, hopped out, and ran up the steps, almost tripping. I knocked on the door and she opened it with Atlas in one of her arms.

"Wow, you're fast." She smiled.

I laughed. "I'm so excited! He's free, correct?"

"Yep." She replied simply and held him out. I took him in my arms; he was fluffy and adorable and I loved him so much already. She went out of sight for a second and came back with a black collar, a black leash, and a carrier which had a paw-printed blanket inside. She pointed inside at a squeaky bone. "This is his favourite toy, too. I thought you should have it as well. He doesn't like to be without it. It's almost like a part of him, I suppose."

I looked behind her and smiled at two other puppies barking and hopping around on the carpet.

She popped open the carrier and put Atlas inside, then handing it to me, along with the collar and leash. I smiled as he chewed on the bone.

"Thank you so much." I said and we bid our farewells.

I put Atlas in the passengers seat and hopped into the opposite side, turning on my car, and sped off to the house. I decided to open the carrier before I got there and let him get a feel of the car, and it'd make for a more dramatic entrance into the house.

I took him in my arms and he licked my finger and nibbled on it. I couldn't help but smile and laugh. I opened the door and let Atlas jump out of my arms (at a safe height) and he ran to Niall, skidding around on the floor. Niall smiled and laughed his adorable laugh as the puppy forced him to the floor and begun jumping on him. 

I dropped the carrier and the leash and collar and closed the door, hopping after them. 

"What's his name?" Niall asked through a squeal and a laugh.

"Atlas." I replied.

"Atlas..." He smiled. "I like the sound of that."