Chapter Two - Telling Liam's Dad & More Singing

(butterfliess)

Liam's POV

I sat on the couch, mind now focused on my dad. I wasn't sure whether I should invite him to the wedding or not. I was questioning whether I should even let him know I was engaged. 

He deserves to know... At least... I told myself. Yeah. He probably wouldn't want to go to the wedding anyways... I re-dialed my mum's number.

"Mum..." I said before she even got the chance to say hello.

"Yes, dear?" She replied and something banged in the background. She must have been cooking or baking or something like that.

"I'm a little torn right now."

"About what?" 

"Well, first of all, I don't expect too many people will be exciting to fly all the way to Canada for our wedding-"

She stopped me. "Dear, don't worry about that. If everyone we're going to invite really loves you, they'd come no matter how far we're going."

I nodded, still fully aware she couldn't see me.

"Yeah, I guess, but... I... I don't know if I should invite Dad. He probably won't be very thrilled to hear that I'm marrying a guy, especially Niall, because... Well... You know. He did pull a gun on him."

"Hun, I'm not the one you should be talking to about this. It's not my wedding. I can't choose for you; you have to follow your heart. Yes, he did, but that should only show your dad how much you mean to Niall, shouldn't it?"

"He's not exactly that understanding." I sighed.

"I can't choose for you, Liam. Follow your heart." 

"Thanks, Mum. I love you."

"Love you too. Can't wait for the wedding." 

We said our goodbyes and I hung up just as Niall walked down the stairs and plopped down onto the couch next to me. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and I looked away, biting my lower lip. 

"What's wrong, Li?" Niall questioned.

"Nothing." I said, staring out the window.

"Please tell me." 

I sighed. "Well... I don't know what to do. I don't know whether I should invite my dad to our wedding or not. I know he won't be very thrilled to fly out all the way to Canada to watch his son get married to a guy. Especially if that guy is you."

"That's understandable. I doubt he likes me. But... I don't know what to tell you. I don't want to choose for you."

"I sort of want to invite him because then I can show him how much I love you and how much you mean to me and vice versa... Then he might understand and finally accept me for once as who I am. But then again I don't... because then he might just hate me more for being gay. He could make me cry at my own wedding. I don't even know if I should tell him I'm engaged."

"Either way,you have a lot of time to think about it. We're not getting married, let alone sending out invitations, for a while." He shrugged. "Besides, even if he'd done some unforgivable things, he at least deserves to know you're getting married, don't you think? You don't necessarily need to tell him who you're getting married to. You don't need to invite him if you're afraid of getting hurt, Liam. He can't change who you are. He can either hurt you because of it, or he can accept you. If he chooses to bash you because of who you are, then he doesn't deserve to be your dad, and he isn't a good one. All we can do is hope he accepts you for it, I suppose."