Chapter Eight - Worries & Nipping at Heels

butterfliess

Liam's POV

I changed quickly and hopped back down the stairs, sitting next to Niall. I noticed that Zayn was there as well and greeted him. Atlas jumped on my lap and curled up, falling asleep fast.

I looked at Niall, staring into his eyes. He noticed me, but never looked at me. Something was wrong. I could feel it. His eyes told me everything.

"You okay, babe?" I asked, wrapping an arm around him. "You look a little disturbed." 

"I'm fine, no worries." He replied. I shrugged and pet Atlas a few times before he started running and we all squealed at how cute it was. He was probably having a dream that included running.

He stopped and barked a little before silencing again. 

My attention returned to Niall. His hand was raised to his mouth and he was chewing on his fingernails.

"Are you sure you're okay? You seem nervous about something."

"I'm sure, I'm fine. Don't worry about it."

I sighed and turned to the TV. I still had a feeling that something was wrong; I felt it, and I knew for a fact that he wasn't telling me something. I thought we could tell eachother anything, yet he didn't want to tell me what was wrong. 

"Okay..." I murmured and suddenly felt like being alone. I picked up Atlas and he woke up as I set him on the floor. I went for the stairs and he followed me, nipping at my heels. I bent down and pointed to Niall. "Atlas, go see Niall." I whispered. He barked lowly and took off, bounding towards Niall. I took the banister in my hand and trudged up the stairs.

I walked into our room and plopped onto the bed, thinking about Niall, and what he could be so stressed out about. Did something happen with his Mum? Did Zayn say something to him? There were too many possibilites. 

I became thirsty and walked down the stairs, keeping silent, and went for the kitchen. I took a Gatorade bottle, washed it out, and filled it with iced tea. I twisted the cap on and took a brief look at Niall and Zayn. They were both watching me like vultures stalking their prey. Atlas again jumped at me and started to bite my heel as I walked. I again told him to go see Niall, and he ran off towards him. He jumped onto Niall's lap, but then realized where I was going, and jumped off, returning to me. I sighed and let him follow me. 

I set down my drink, after taking a long sip of it, on the end table next to our bed. I lay down on it, leaning my head against the wall, and flipped on the TV. I closed the door when I entered the room, and Atlas got in just when I closed it. He jumped onto my stomach, curled up, and fell asleep.

I closed my eyes, switching the TV to Toy Story, wishing I could fall asleep that easily.