Chapter Twenty-One -- Beautiful Goodbye

(by MrsNiallHoran :3)

-- Niall's POV -- 

"So, what did Liam say?" I asked Harry as I helped him bring in my things, boxes full of my personal belongings. I reminded myself absently to thank him for doing this for me, but in the meantime, I was curious about how Liam reacted.

"Well... I don't really think you want to know."

"What? Why not? Tell me." 

"I was giving him a stern talking to about all of this, telling him that he hurt you and he was acting stupid and all, and, uh... He basically said that he's tired of you and was only with you for the money and the house and everything. He had some other guy there with him and I'm pretty sure he's been cheating on you with that guy. I told him that he's a jerk and he has no right to treat you that way, and he just laughed and said that you deserve it." Harry explained, and by the end of all of that, I felt tears burning in my eyes. Liam had seriously said all that? And he had another guy over there?

"O-Oh..." I replied quietly, trying to act like it didn't bother me, but it did. He was only with me for the money and the house... The guy I'd been about to marry, cheating on me? Maybe that was why I didn't want to marry him. Maybe some subconscious part of me knew that he was no good. 

"Oh, don't cry." he sighed, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me close. I sniffled and buried my face into the warmth of his jacket, unable to hold the tears back. All those things hurt to hear. A lot. Of course they did. I still loved Liam. My love for him didn't just disappear overnight. It just didn't work that way. I knew I was technically the one who broke things off, but... How was I supposed to react to him being so crazy? Then again, from what he said to Harry, he didn't seem to care about me, so I wondered why he'd been so nosy. He was probably just wanting to accuse me of cheating to hide the fact that he was doing that to me. I couldn't believe I'd been about to marry that crazy, obsessive, lying, cheating jerk. "He's not worth your tears."

"B-But I'd been about to m-marry him, Harry..."

"Yeah, but you didn't. Your instincts told you something was up and made you back out, and it's a good thing you listened to 'em, or else you could've ended up married to that dirtbag." 

"Yeah, I-I guess so... I c-can't believe he had another g-guy over there. And ch-cheating on me? And only b-being with me for the house and-and the m-money... I honestly thought h-he was different than that."

"Well, everybody always wants to believe the best of the person they love." Harry replied, shrugging, as I pulled away from him just enough to look at him. "Nobody ever wants to believe the person they love would treat them like that, but... Sometimes, it's the truth. And you just have to deal with that."

"I know... I-I just really thought he wasn't l-like that."

-- Liam's Point of View --

I sat slouched on the couch, contemplating exactly what I had to do to get Niall back. I doubted he ever wanted to see me again. And suddenly, as I sat there in silence, my whole mind went blank for a split second. Suddenly, as I sat there in silence, every thought was blocked out except for one.  

"Maybe..." I said to myself quitely. "Maybe it's time. To let him go. He doesn't want to be with me, it's obvious. Maybe it's time to move on." But quickly I erased the thought and shook my head. "No, no... I can't just... Give up." I couldn't help the fact that I was on the verge of tears and sliding over the edge fast. "He's my everything... And I need to let him know that."

---

I pulled my hand out of my coat pocket. Hesitately, I reached over and knocked on the door. Niall had appeared, although I had been expecting Harry, and he quickly looked down after realizing who was before him. I forced a small smile.