Chapter 12

Mal was talking to Evie who was walking next to her at the back of the group. Walking In front of them in the middle of the group was Doug who was talking to Jay, next to Doug and Jay was Carlos and Hallie walking next to each other and talking. Walking In the front of the group was Lonnie leading the way, with Ben looking over her shoulder at the map every time she pulled it out to check that they were going in the right direction. The group was in the middle of a forest of tall oaks, they had been walking for most of the day "Hey Evie"asked Mal "does Ben seem okay to you?" Evie looked over at Mal and said "I guess, I mean given the circumstances he seems as okay as anyone would be" Mal crossed her arms and said "He seems stressed to me" looking at Ben,tilting her head to one side, and squinting slightly. "Why don't you go talk to him" said Evie, Mal looked over at her but didn't say anything, Evie continued "it seems like whenever one of you has a problem the other one always fixes it. You're like the ying to his yang" Mal smiled and said "thanks" Evie smiled back, Mal picked up her pace so she could catch up to Ben and Lonnie. 

When she got close enough to Ben she grabbed his left hand with her right. He looked back and when he saw her a small smile formed on his face. Mal stepped so that she was walking next to him and rested her head on his shoulder. "Hey" said Ben, Mal looked up at him and said "Hey"Ben felt her head leave his shoulder and looked at her, she paused before continuing "It's getting kind of late" Ben glanced behind where Mal was looking at him and saw the sun setting behind the treeline and said "hmmm" Mal looked over at where Ben was looking and saw the sun set, she looked back at him and said "I don't think it's a good idea to travel in the dark" Ben looked at her and nodded in agreement. He tapped Lonnie on the shoulder, she stopped walking looked, back at him, and said "yes" "I think it would be a good idea to stop for the night soon, we don't want to be walking in the dark" said Ben, Lonnie answered "sure, there's a nice little hidden alcove up ahead we can stop there if you like" Ben looked at Mal and she said "sounds good to me." Lonnie turned her attention back to the map and started to lead them towards the alcove. Mal put her head back on Ben's shoulder, Ben let go of her hand and put his arm around her shoulders.

Lonnie led them to a giant wall of rock. In front of them on the wall was a natural curtain of hanging plants. "This doesn't look like a castle" said Hallie "who said that they lived in a castle babe"said Carlos "Nobody said that they did, but they do" Lonnie said as she folded up the map and started walking towards the wall "Hallie why are you asking this, Don't you trust Lonnie" asked Jay in a contradicting tone "Don't talk to my girlfriend like that!"yelled Carlos "You want to go little buddy!" Jay yelled back.They continued bickering and yelling back and forth. Evie said "guys" but nobody heard her over the yelling, so she said it again louder"Guys" again nobody heard. she made eye contact with Mal and she nodded. "Guys" Mal said, but nobody heard her "NOCK IT OFF!"she yelled Jay and Carlos stopped dead in their tracks and looked at her astonished "oh don't act so surprised" she said. Mal continued "you guys shouldn't be fighting, we're all tired and hungry, besides, we're all practically family, we shouldn't be fighting" 

Jay and Carlos nodded and apologized to each other. Evie gave a sigh and said "Thank you Mal, I was trying to get your attention but nobody could hear me over your fighting" she said glaring at Jay and Carlos, they both hung their heads in shame "I was trying to say were did Lonnie go" everyone started looking around, Jay was the first to start yelling her name "Lonnie?!""Lonnie!" then they heard in a kind of muffled voice "I'm right here" Mal looked over to where she heard the voice coming from and saw Lonnie's head sticking out of the natural plant curtain. "There you are" Jay said walking towards Lonnie, Lonnie stepped the rest of the way out of the curtain and said "I didn't realize you guys weren't following me when I went in there" when she finished talking Jay ran up to her and gave her a hug. Mal had to stifle a laugh, but Jay must have heard her because he quickly pulled away and started to fix his jacket and cleared his throat. There was a moment of awkward silence. "Okaaay, come on we're losing daylight" Lonnie said as she pulled back the curtain and gestured for everyone to go inside. Jay was the first to enter followed by Ben Then Mal. After Mal was Evie, Doug, Carlos, and Hallie. Lonnie was the last naturally.

When Mal walked out from under the stone archway, that was past the plant curtain, she walked into a big green meadow. In the back and to the left of the meadow was a tall white tower with a purple cone roof. On the right side of the meadow was a small waterfall leading into a small river that flowed through the middle of the meadow. There were a few trees with low hanging branches on the left side of the meadow.Surrounding the whole area was a huge natural stone wall. 

"Wow,this place is wicked" exclaimed Mal, When Evie walked in she gasped in awe. When everyone was in the meadow Doug asked "is that Rapunzel's tower" pointing to the tower at the other side of the meadow. "yes it is" Lonnie said as she grabbed Jay's hand and started walking towards the tower. Everyone followed them. As they were walking towards the tower Mal said "I'm guessing that your friends are Rapunzel and Eugene" "Yes, but I only really know them through their daughter Rebecca" said Lonnie as she led the group around to the back of the tower. She led them to a wooden door then turned around and said "wait here" then turned to face the tower again. She walked towards the door and knocked on it in a particular pattern. There was a rustling sound then the sound of someone running down a stone staircase. There was the sound of something unlocking, then the door opened out towards Lonnie. In the doorway was an average height, slender girl with long brown almost black hair that went down to the middle of her back. She was wearing a pair of black converse, some blue skinny jeans, and a pinkish red long sleeved shirt. Her left hand was holding the door open and the other was on her right hip. "Hey Lonnie, this is an unexpected visit" said the girl, Lonnie replied "Sorry to barge in on you like this Rebecca, but we were on our way to see your parents for some help and we need a place to stay for the night" Rebecca glanced over Lonnie's shoulder and saw Ben and Mal. Mal saw that when Rebecca noticed her and Ben, her eyes went wide with shock. Lonnie must have noticed too because she turned so she could see what Rebecca was looking at.

 Mal noticed that Ben was looking around and hadn't noticed Rebecca looking at them. Mal had her arm around Ben's, her elbow was in just the right spot so that she could sneakily elbow him to get his attention, Mal did so and Ben was jerked out of his trance. He looked at Mal a little confused she gestured towards Lonnie and Rebecca with her head. Ben looked over at them and said "Hi" Lonnie turned back around so that she was facing Rebecca, Rebecca stopped starring at Ben and Mal as Lonnie caught her attention and asked "Do you think we can stay with you for the night?" Rebecca thought for a little bit then asked "exactly how many of you are there?" Lonnie started to count but Evie beat her to it "there are eight of us,not counting Dude" "who's "Dude" " Rebecca asked, this time it was Carlos who answered "He's my Dog, and he go's everywhere with me" Mal saw a look of understanding cross Rebecca's face."hmmm, I don't know...." said Rebecca "Rebecca come on, I'm sure Peyton won't mind" said Lonnie. "Okay, why not" Rebecca said as she stepped out of the door way so the group could enter.