Chapter 24

A/N- Hey all my lovely readers! I'm sorry this took so long to get out, but trust me the wait was worth it. Okay enjoy!

Mal looked around her and Evie's cell, then back to her sister.
"Do you have any bobby pins in your hair?" Mal asked hopefully.
"I think so" Evie replied, reaching up and running her fingers through her hair.
"Darn, Eugene must have taken them out" she said, her frustration clear on her face.
"Can You use your magic to undo the chains?" Evie suggested
"I'll give it a try" replied Mal, her voice a little shaky.
"Are you okay?" Evie asked. Mal gave a shrug and said
"Yeah, i'm fine" not meeting her sisters gaze. Mal shook our her hands, the chains making a loud clanking noise. She mumbled some words then moved her hands in a wave like motion. The shackles around their wrists and ankles started to glow with a green light, then Mal winced and the glowing ceased. She slouched over, throwing her hands on the floor then lifting them and clutching them together groaning.

Evie put a hand on Mal's shoulder "Mal!" She yelled, worry and concern laced in her voice
"You are not okay" she said lifting Mal's face to meet her gaze. She was grimacing with pain
"I think there's something blocking my magic" she said looking down at her hands, they were red like they had been burned.
"Right you are my dear" a voice said as the door to the cell opened and Eugene entered the room, walking towards the girls.
"Let us go!" Evie yelled
"Oh you're a feisty one aren't you" he said thrusting a foot toward Evie making her have to lean away from Mal to avoid getting hit.
"But I can't do that"
"Did you just come here to gloat Eugene, if that even is your name?" Mal asked glaring up at the man.

"Well nothing gets past you does it." The man said sarcastically
"Actually I came to deliver your meals" he said reaching into his vest and pulled out two rice cakes wrapped in plastic. He tossed them on the floor in front of the girls. Both of them glanced at the cakes, and then back up at the man, disgust on their faces.
"Well fine, starve then" the man said walking away from them. As he turned his back on the girls Mal noticed a set of keys hanging from his belt.
"If I can get him to come back over here" she thought "Maybe one of us can grab the keys." She nudged Evie with her shoulder, who looked over at her. Mal mouthed "grab the keys" and Evie nodded in understanding.

"Why even keep us alive?" Mal asked "I mean, the king is my boyfriend, and once he finds out that we're gone, he will find us, and stop what ever evil plan you have." She said confidently. The man chuckled, which sent a chill up Mal's spine.
"I really wish I didn't have to" he said turning to face them once again
"But, alas, my brother needs you alive." he finished with a sigh that conveyed utter bordum.
"So, he's not alone" Mal thought
"Why listen to him? Why not just do what you want? Or, do you need your brother to tell you what to do?" Mal asked in a teasing voice.

With that last stab at the man's temper, he rushed across the room, nelt down, grabbed Mal's face and pulled it so close that all she could see was his. Their was a fire in his eyes that almost matched her mother's.
"If you don't think that I would love to kill you right here and now, you'd be wrong" the man spat "But if I did, my brother would have my head, and lucky for you, I value my life more than yours." he said tightening his grip around her neck "But don't you dare think that I won't hesitate to bring you to the brink of your life. So I suggest" he said throwing her head against the wall and standing "you watch yourself." With those last words he turned to face the door and left.

"Mal?" Evie called as she leaned, as close as the chains permitted, over to her sister. Mal sat up and rubbed her head where it had struck the brick
"Did you get the keys?" She asked, not worried about what Eugenne had done to her
"Yep" Evie replied, lifting the keys up into Mal's line of sight.
"Then let's get out of here" Mal said, already sounding a little better. 

"Why wouldn't he want us in the library?" Ben asked himself. He studied the wooden floor boards as he tried to decipher what that man was up to. Out of nowhere, Doug was snapped back into reality. His whole demeanor changed, he wasn't just staring of into space, he was alert and in the moment.
"Doug!" Jay happily welcomed him back into the present.
"Shhhhhh" Doug yelled aggressively. Ben looked up at his friend, concern in his eyes
"Are you oka-"
"Shhhhh" Doug said again, cutting Ben off "I thought I heard Evie yelling" he explained. Ben walked over to him, placed a hand on his shoulder saying
"I know you're worried about her, but you need to calm down" he told his friend in a voice that conveyed understanding and concern.
"I wasn't hearing things." Doug replied shaking Ben off "I heard her, I'm not crazy" Doug defended.

Ben was about to say something when there was another noise. Ben's gaze darted around the room, he heard Doug say
"I know you all heard that."
Something caught Ben's eye, the crest in the stain glass window was casting a gold and purple shadow across the floor. He wasn't sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him, or if their really was something odd about the wood that the shadow was on. He down and ran his fingers along the seems of the wood.
"Are you okay man?" Carlos asked.
"There's something odd about the floor." Ben pointed out "the seemes between the boards make a large square, unlike the rest of the floor which is staggered" he added, slowly  following the outline with his finger.

Lonnie nelt down next to him
"You're right Ben" she said, a confused  yet curious look on her face. "I think it might be a trap door, or secret entrance" she added looking over at Ben.
"Can you get it open?" Hallie asked
"I'm not sure" Lonnie replied standing. Jay stepped in front of her and Ben
"Let me try" he said kneeling down. He reached into his pocket and pulled out two suction cups that fit into his palms.
"I thought you gave up theveing?" Lonnie asked accusingly as Jay placed the cups onto the floor.
"I did" he replied looking up at her "I thought I could use them for parkour." He finished, Lonnie gave him a look that said "really?" Jay returned his gaze to the floor and lifted the slab of wood. Ben peered past Jay and into the hole. It was very dark and there was a wooden ladder leading down into it.

Ben was the first to start descending the ladder. When he saw that the rest of them were still standing around he gestured for them to follow him. When he reached the bottom he took a few steps into the hall he had entered. It was made of what looked like grey stone, he could see two wooden doors on opposite sides of the hall. Their were some stone steps at the opposite end of the hall with another wodden door at the top. The hall was very dimly lit by some torches on the walls, there was also some light coming in though the trap door he had entered through. Ben looked back behind him at the ladder to see how far along the rest of the group was.

His attention was ripped back in front of him by the sound of keys jangling. Ben squinted to try and see where the sound was coming from. Then he saw the door on the right wall swing into the room it led too. And out walked the purple haired love of his life, quickly followed by her blue haired sister.