Chapter 31

Mal's pace was brisk as she walked down the hall towards the holding cells, Carlos struggling to stay on her heals. As they approached the end of the hall they met an intersection, Mal paused.

"I think it's this way" Carlos said as he stepped up to be level with Mal and pointed.

"Right" Mal nodded before heading off in the direction he had indicated. She could feel the tension building in her body as they drew nearer to their destination. Carlos took a fiew big bounds, almost joging, to catch up with her.

"Mal?"

"Hmm"

"What's your plan?" Carlos asked, steping a little closer to her to avoid running into a pot on a pedestal.

"I'll just go in there and give him the ol' one two, it's not that hard." she replied shaking out her shoulders.

"I'm not so sure that'll work." Mal shot him a questioning glance. "I don't think just rushing in blindly will get you anywhere, You saw what he can do." Mal slowed down and gave an exasperated sigh.

"What do you suggest then?" she asked, stopping to turn around and face the white haired boy. Carlos was caught off guard by this, Mal rarely asked him for advice, especially matters like this. He thought a bit before replying.

"How about this....."

************************************

They had found their way to the interrogation room where the prisoner was being held. There were two guards, one on either side of the door, they were both adorned with standard Corona armor. One had a sword sheathed at his hip while the other had a pike in his hand. As the two VK's approached the door into the room the guards straightened up a bit.

Mal sighed through he nose, trying to quell her rising negative emotions, before saying.

"I need to speak with the prisoner." She looked from one guard to the other, waiting for one of them to move. The guard on the right glanced over at the other guard, as if telling him something. The other guard then cleared his throat, and while looking straight ahead said.

"Sorry ma'am, only people on official business are allowed in." He shifted uncomfortably under Mal's gaze. She was glaring at him, she wasn't in the mood to deal with another obstacle.

"And who would give the orders to send someone over here?" She asked. She didn't like using her position to get places, but she had had enough of this imposter, and she needed some answers. The guards were taken aback by her question, they glanced at each other before one of them replied.

"T-the queen or her husband ma'am." Mal crossed her arms and put on a thoughtful face.

"Is there someone who could give them orders?" She asked them, her tone was very condescending. Carlos put a hand on her shoulder and whispered.

"Maybe we should do this later." At this Mal shot him a look that made him feel like shrinking into the corner. He let go and the guards answered her question.

"The King of Auradon, ma'am." The other guard replied. Mal put a sweet smile on her face before saying.

"Seeing as the King has had a hard couple of days, sending his girlfriend, who happened to have grown up on the isle of the lost and knows a thing or two about interrogation, to ask the man who threatened his life some questions doesn't seem out of the blue now does it?" A look of realization and fear crossed their faces. As one of them fumbeled with the door and the other replied.

"So sorry ma'am...... Didn't realize.... Go on in." She gave them a curt nod in thanks and walked through the door, with Carlos close behind her.

When they emerged through the doorway they found themselves in a little hallway with two doors. One led into the room where the now subdued imposter was being held, and the other lead to a little viewing room. It seemed to Mal that the window that allowed the people in the viewing room to see into the interrogation room was one way. She lead Carlos into the second room and asked.

"So, should I go in by myself?" She asked as she studied the now imprisoned imposter through the window "Or do you want to soften him up first?"

"Huh?" Carlos was caught off guard by the question, as he was still recovering from the glare he had received. "Oh" he replied before giving some thought to his answer.

"I think we should go in together, the tactic I suggested should work a little better that way." Mal nodded in agreement before heading into the other room.

Her eyes were met with a stark white pannel walled room. The imposter was sitting at a grey metal table in a grey metal chair, his hands were cuffed together and chained to the table and floor. There were two seats opposite the prisoner, he was still wearing the clothes he had stollen from Eugene and seemed to be fussing with the vest.

"Curse this infernal piece of leather....." He muttered as he tried to undo the clasps. Mal grabbed one of the chairs, pulled it towards her and spun it around to sit on it backwards. Carlos had come in behind her and walked around behind the prisoner and leaned against the left wall of the room with his foot against it.

The man seemed to have taken notice of their presence and had stopped fidgeting with the vest and was now looking up at Mal. She could see that he didn't look the same. His hair was no longer brown, but red, his eyes were green and his face was a little longer.

"Oh, it's you" he taunted "I thought they would have sent someone more formidable." His words made the tension in Mal's body start to increase, she wanted to let loose on him but she decided to take Carlo's advise and keep her cool.

"Look, let's get this out of the way." She said leaning into the back of her chair. "What's your name? I can't keep calling you 'the imposter', it's getting old"

"And why would I tell you that?" He replied leaning back in his chair. Carlos stopped leaning on the wall and walked behind the man saying

"I heard that you're headed to Arendelle, and judgeing the way the queen talked to you, you have a reputation there." The man slightly inclined his head towards the white haired boy as he passed behind him. Mal thought she saw a glimmer of fear in his eyes at the mention of the Norwegian kingdom. That was it, her way to break him.

"So, you don't like the sound of going to Arendelle?" Mal asked, she was starting to feel like maybe she could get something out if this guy.

"What makes you think that?" He asked, his confident expression back on his face, but slightly less.

"I've been doing this for a long time, it's easy for me to read people." Mal replied letting a smirk grace her face.

"Red hair, green eyes, long face, doesn't want to go to Arendelle.." Mal thought, then it came to her.

"I'm sure princess Anna would love to see your face behind bars, Or more accurately behind a barrier." 

AN- hey all my lovely readers! Thank you all so much for being so patient with me. I hope you enjoyed the chapter! I'm not sure when the next one will be out. Who do you think the imposter is? Until next time!