Chapter 37

As Mal emerged from the cloud of purple smoke after de-transforming, she checked to make sure none of her clothes had caught on fire. Embers tended to generate when she went in and out of her dragon form.

She saw a fascinated look cross the large man's face as she walked across the deck to stand next to Ben.

"Lady Mal" he said, composing himself "I'd heard that you could change into a dragon, but to actually  see you do it is awesome."

"Thanks." She replied curtly, she was still shaking off her fight with Uma.

"Mal, this is Maui." Ben explained, "He's the demigod who works with chief Moana."

"Nice to meet you." Mal said.

"Likewise." Maui replied. " You know, I can turn into many epic creatures, but not a dragon. How do you do that exactly?"

"I'm not really sure. It's more of a inherited ability." She answered.

Maui nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"Back to the matter at hand" Ben interjected.

"Yes, yes." Maui replied. "Why were you on that ship anyway?"

"Well, it's actually my ship." Ben replied "You see, they were supposed to stay out of trouble, but we both know how that went." He explained.

Maui hummed in thoughtful acknowledgement "Not to overstep my bounds, your majesty, but you should really have more control of your people." He added in a slightly condescending tone. 

Mal was listening to the exchange intently. She tried not to judge people to quickly, it was something she was working on. But she couldn't help from feeling like Maui had a superiority complex, and it made her a little weary.

"I agree." Replied Ben, a touch of frustration in his tone. "And the problem will be remedied. Let me know what you lost and I will do my best to ensure that your people get repaid."

"You must have been desperate to travel with the likes of them." Maui said, gesturing towards the Lost revenge across the water. "And to cut through our terrortory too. What's so important?"

"That's none of your business." Mal interjected in a guarded tone.

"No, it's okay." Ben said, placing a hand on her shoulder to calm her. "We need to get to Arendelle so we can save my sister, and we don't have much time." He added.

"Since when do you have a sister?" Maui asked, crossing his arms.

"It's a long story." Ben replied "please just let us pass, lives are at stake."

Maui had a thoughtful look on his face, he then gave a sigh saying "I'll talk to the chief about your offer, and you can pass safely, but if I see that ship in our waters again before we're repaid, I can't guarantee it's safety."

"Thank you" Ben replied giving a slight bow "you won't regret this." Then he gestured towards the bow of the ship, indicating for Mal to walk that way.

************************************

The sun had set and the waves had calmed. Mal was standing at the bow of the Lost Revenge looking up at the moon and the stars, deep in thought when she heard a pair of boots approaching.

"What are you doing up?" Uma asked coming up to stand next to Mal.

"Can't sleep." She replied.

"Something on your mind?" Uma asked, leaning her forarms on the railing. Mal scoffed and shook her head.

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Okay little miss princess, got probl-"

"I am NOT a princess." Mal cut her off.

"Careful," Uma cautioned mockingly "wouldn't want to let the dragon out, now would we."

Mal gave a sigh "Can we please not do this right now?"

"Why?" Uma asked in a condescending tone. Mal glared at her and looked away. She really didn't want to have another fight with Uma.

There was a pause, then she heard Uma sigh "sorry," Mal looked at her, a little surprised "I guess antagonizing you is all I really know how to do." Mal almost couldn't believe her ears.

"Are you apologizing?" Mal asked, bewildered. "What do you think 'sorry' means?" Uma asked before giving a flustered sigh  "Harry says I should try to be a little more....... compassionate." She was griping the railing very tightly.

"Since when do you listen to his advice about how you should act?" Mal inquired, then something clicked. "I knew there was something between you two!" She teased.

Uma shook her head "You don't want to talk about your problems, so now we're going to talk about my personal life?"

Mal didn't answer her. She just looked at the young sea witch for a second before returning her gaze to the open ocean. Giving a sigh she replied "Fine" as she looked back at Uma. "Promise you won't say anything?"

"Depends on how juicy the info is." Uma replied with a sly smirk. Mal raised an eyebrow at her. "Fine, fine." Uma said "I won't tell anyone."

"Thanks." Mal responded. After a moment she continued "It's Ben."

"What about him?"

"Something's off. He's being secretive. It's not like him." Mal said, returning her gaze to the ocean.

"Are you sure it's not just this whole thing with his sister?" Uma asked "I mean if I learned that I had a sibling I would feel off too."

"It's not that," Mal dismissed "I think he's hiding something from me...." She looked back at the blue braided pirate, and she could have sworn she saw her tense, but dismissed it. "He's never really been good at liying."

"I'm sure it's nothing." Uma replied, waving her hand in the air dismissively. "Knowing him, he's probably planing some big surprise for your anniversary or something."

Mal sensed she was hiding something,  but before she could say anything Uma interjected.

"So why do you need to go to Aredelle anyway?"

"We need to get to 'an island that no one knows' and we think they might have a map that can tell us where it is." Mal replied, making air quotations. She heard Uma laugh a little. "What?" She asked.

"Do you mean 'The Unknown Isle'?" Uma asked in return.

"Is it between The Isle and Auradon?" Mal asked, intrigued by the fact the Uma might know where they needed to go.

"Ehhh, sometimes." Uma shrugged.

"It moves!?" Mal replied, a little shocked.

"It can't stay in one place," Uma said mater of factly "then people would know 'where' it is."

"Do you know how to get there?"