Chapter 29

Mal's attention was drawn away from Ben by the sound of Eugene trying to get Rapunzel to remember him.

"Jay, you can let her go now" Eugene said as he approached him.

"Yeah, sorry" Jay replied before letting go of the queen. She tried to stand but quickly lost her balance, Rebecca held her mother up.

"Are you okay Mom?" She asked

"I think so...." Rapunzel replied holding her hand to her head. Eugene took her free hand and said

"Blondie.... You sure you're alright?" Jay walked away from the family and over to where Lonnie was, figureing they needed space. The rest of the group gathered together near Mal and Ben. Mal saw Rapunzel look into Eugene's eyes, yet they looked dull and unremembering.

"Who are you?" She asked, Rebecca looked shocked, she looked from her mother's face to her father's then to the group.

"Come on Blondie, it's me." Mal could here the pleading in his voice. She looked over at Evie who whispered

"Maybe TLK would help" the blue haired girl suggested. "It worked with you and Ben"

"Yeah" Mal replied "but that was a love spell, this is something different." Evie nodded in agreement.

"TLK?" Ben asked

"TLK, True Loves Kiss." Mal replied matter-o-fatctly.

"Are you okay?" Ben asked. Mal turned to him

"I told you, we'll talk about it later." She knew he was worried, she hadn't really acted this way in a while. She knew why she was acting this way, and she needed to tell him, but not here. She was pulled out of her thoughts by laughter.

"What's so funny?" Lonnie asked the man she had pinned to the floor with her sword.

"I knew the spell would work, but not this well" the man replied, more laughter following his remark. Lonnie slightly pushed the tip of her sword onto his throat, not enough to draw blood, but enough to make him stop laughing.

"How do we break it?" She asked, glaring at him. Mal had never seen Lonnie show so much anger.

"This guy is getting to all of us" Mal thought.

"Why would I tell you?" He retorted. At this Lonnie pressed the sword ever so slightly harder onto his neck so that she broke the skin, a drop of blood rolled down the side of his neck.

"Because" she replied "you're not in a position to weasel your way out of this." Jay placed a hand on her shoulder

"Lonnie, we need him to be able to talk" he said, trying to calm her down.
She nodded in response.

"Mal.." Rebecca called, steping away from her parents and towards the group "we need to do something." Mal could here the tension in her new friend's voice. She shook her head

"It's up to your father" she replied "he's the only one who can help her." There was a momentary flash of confusion, then understanding rested on her features. Rebecca looked back to her parents.

"Rapunzel, don't you remember me?" Eugene pleaded, taking her hands and looking into her eyes. She looked scared, she was leaning away from him. "You knocked me out the first time we met, remember?" At his words the fog that was in her eyes faded ever so slightly, but another flash of pain crossed her features, making her shake her head.

"Knocked him out?" Mal thought "what a weird relationship."

Eugene must have seen what Mal had, he was getting through to her, just not enough. She had stopped leaning away from him, but still looked confused. He cupped her cheek in his hand. At this the man pinned to the floor tried to break free.

"No!" he yelled, twisting his wrists which were bound with rope. Lonnie pressed harder with her foot into his abdomen, keeping him down. Jay nelt down over his face.

"Stay put, and keep quiet." He threatened. The man seemed taken aback as he did what he was told.

Mal looked back to Rapunzel and her prince. He was closer to her, but she still seemed scared.

"Just do it already!" Mal thought. She knew how hard It was for her to kiss Ben on the yacht, but this was different. They we're married, they'd done this before. It was almost like Eugene had read her mind, for he leaned in and kissed her.

He pulled away, and after Rapunzel opened her eyes, Mal saw that the fog was gone from them.

"Eugene.." she whispered, she said it so softly that Mal almost didn't hear her.

"Yeah." he whispered back. Mal saw the queen look past her husband and to the man who had spelled her. Her expression hardened as she processed what he had done to her.

"YOU!" She yelled, taking a step towards him and pointing a finger at him. "Do you have any idea how much harm you could have caused!" Eugene placed his hand on her shoulder to keep her calm. "Just wait until my cousins get a hold of you"

"Cousins?" Hallie asked.

"I think she's talking about my aunts Anna and Elsa." Rebecca replied "well, I call them my aunts but they really aren't."

"Your majesty" Ben said taking a step towards Rapunzel. "This man will get the Justice he deserves." She looked up at the king

"Ben!" She exclaimed, Mal could see the relief of her face.

"Are you suggesting that this man has something to do with the people of Arendelle?" Ben asked, curiosity and concern in his voice.

"Ben," Lonnie cut in. "I think we should secure him a little better before we start asking questions."

"Good point." Ben replied.