Chapter 17

Just as quickly as the fog parted it covered up the beautiful sight. Mal stood on the stool looking out and thinking about the castle she had caught a glimpse of. She was torn from her thoughts by the sound of her father coming home. Mal got off the stool, walked over to the door and put her ear to it to listen to what her parents were talking about. "Hello dear" Mal's father said "Don't dear me" Maleficent snapped "What's wrong?" He asked in a worried tone"You know exactly what's wrong!" "please calm down, Where's our daughter?" "You can't see MY daughter!" Maleficent yelled "I don't understand why you're so on edge" he said calmly "I KNOW what you did" Maleficent yelled "Wha-" "Ten minuets, get your stuff and go" Maleficent cut him off "Bu-" "Go!" Mal was as confused as her father sounded. She tried to open the door to stop him from leaving, but it was no use. She started banging on the door and yelling but it was like her father couldn't hear her. She fell to the floor crying.

Mal was pulled back into the present by Evie putting her hand on Mal's arm. She looked over at Evie with a blank expression. Evie gave her a comforting look and asked "Are you okay?" Mal sighed and Evie just knew that she wasn't okay. Mal looked over where Carlos used to be and saw that the sun was almost set. She looked forward and saw the tip of a castle spire and she felt a little better.

As they neared the edge of the forest the trees thinned and gave way to a rocky beach with a bridge leading to the island kingdom of Corona."Woah" said Mal breathless "yep, that's home." Rebecca said folding up the map and giving it back to Lonnie. "What'r we waiting for?" said Ben with a new enthusiastic air "lets go!" he broke ahead of the rest of the group and started walking across the bridge into the kingdom. Mal picked up her pace and caught up to him."You're feeling better" she said walking next to him "yeah I guess it's because I feel like we're getting somewhere" said Ben ,he looked at Mal and said "you seem like somethings on your mind" Mal gave a sigh and said "old memories resurfacing that's all"crossing her arms and lowering her gaze to the ground. "Ben put his arm around Mal and said "Hey, it's my sister who's lost. If anyone should be feeling down it's me. Who forgets there sister for sixteen years!" Mal laughed a little and leaned into him saying "I'll explain later."

 As they approached the gate they slowed down a little to let the rest catch up. Rebecca came to the front of the group and approached the closed gate first. She knocked on the door which made a loud clanging sound as the metal trim collided against the surrounding metal reinforcements made to the stone arch way. There was the sound of someone scrambling inside one of the towers on either side of the gate. There was a creaking noise as a guard opened a door in the tower on the left side of the gate and said "Who goes there?" Rebecca walked over to the guard and said "Harold it's me, will you please open the gates?" Harold seamed startled as he adjusted his posture and bowed saying "I'm sorry princess, my fault I didn't recognize you." Rebecca sighed and said "Please just open the gate." "Of course, my apologies." said Harold still bowing as he backed into the tower and closed the door. There was the sound of a chain being pulled and a metal gate raising. Then Harold pushed one of the gates open so the group could enter the kingdom.