Chapter 21

Mal kept close to the wall as she and Evie crept through the hall back to the room where they had last seen Ruapunzel and Eugene. This hall was dimly lit by oil lamps along the walls. The banners that hung from the arches cast deep shadows across the floor as light from the full moon shone through the glass roof.

Evie tapped Mal on the shoulder, she turned to look as Evie gestured at the door to their right. Mal took a step closer to the wooden door and pressed her ear to it, listening for signs of movement. Mal gave Evie the all clear then slowly opened the door.

As they entered Mal saw that the room was empty, it looked almost the same as it did before except the curtains were drawn on the little alcove window. The only source of light was a small candle on the coffee table. Mal walked over to the table and picked up the candle. She hooked her index finger through the little metal loop at the bottom. She noticed a faint light coming from underneath the door on the left side of the room. She guestered toward the light and Evie nodded.

Mal crept over to the door, careful not to run into any of the furniture. When she reached the door she handed the candle to Evie, then pressed her ear to the door.

"Eugene, there's nothing to worry about" Ruapunzel said, her voice muffled by the door

"I don't like the way she was acting" Eugene replied "she seemed like she was up to something"

"Just because she's a VK doesn't mean that she's up to something" Ruapunzel reassured "besides their friends of Lonnie's, I'm sure they're good people"

There was a long pause, then the sound of foot steps "What's got you so worked up?" Ruapunzel asked

"I don't know" Eugene sighed

"I'm going to sleep, care to join me?"

"No, I think i'm going to stay up for a little while, you go ahead. Good night"

"Good night"

There was the sound of covers rustling, then the flick of a light, and foot steps approaching the door. Mal quickly turned toward Evie, took the candle from her and shoved her behind the couch. She placed the candle back on the table, then joined her friend.

Eugene opened the door and turned on the lights, Mal had to squint as her eyes adjusted. She placed her head on the floor to try and see where Eugene was, she saw his feet as he walked in front of the couch and sat down. He groaned

"Stupid, stupid" he whispered to himself "What's got you so worked up?" He quietly mocked "I thought this guy was a theaf, he's supposed to be paranoid!" He whispered harshly. "Ugh, this is worse than Arendell!"

Mal looked at Evie, the same wide-eyed look on their faces. "He's Hans" Mal realized "we need to get out of here"