Chapter 22

Evie, as quietly as possible, slowly moved toward the end of the couch near the door to the hall. She put her hand down on the cold wood floor, and peeked past the couch at the door.
"Darn" she thought to herself
The door was closed, as she moved back toward Mal, her shoulder brushed against a side table. The table rocked, dislodging a conch shell which fell to the floor with a crash. Her gaze darted to Mal, her friend's expression saying everything and nothing at all.

Ben awoke to sunlight coming through the window. He rolled over, expecting Mal to be asleep beside him, but she wasn't there.
"She probably got up already" he thought to himself
He got out of bed and walked over to where they had put their suitcases. He noticed Mal's pajamas were still folded on the chair.
"That's odd, she usually doesn't fold her clothes"he said to himself.
He got dressed and decided to check if she was with Evie.

He opened the door and walked over to Evie and Doug's room. After knocking on the door he was met with an, at first relieved Doug, but his expression changed when he saw who was at the door.
"Oh, hey Ben." Doug greeted, disappointment in his voice.
"Hey, have you seen Mal I thought she might be with Evie?" Ben asked, putting his hands in his pockets.
Doug looked at the ground and shook his head, looking back up he said "I haven't seen her since yesterday, I thought Evie might be with Mal."
"I'm sure they're fine" Ben replied putting a hand on Doug's shoulder. "Lets see if we can get some breakfast."
As they were walking along the hall way they ran into Rebecca
"Good monring" Rebecbecca said cheerfully
"Good morning" Ben replied
"Moring" Doug said distracted.
"We were just going to get some breakfast" Ben said
"Great" Rebecca replied "I was just coming to get everyone for that same reason. The dining room is just down this hall and to the left" she said pointing down the hall to their left.
"Thanks, we'll meet you there" Ben said leading Doug the way Rebecca had said.

When they entered the room Ben saw a big wooden table, simalr to the one at Rebecca's house, parallel to the doorway they had walked through. At the left end of the table were Eugene and Ruapunzel, Eugene was at the head of the table while Ruapunzel was to his left facing the door.
"Good morning!" The queen said cheerfully, Ben noted how Rebecca had greeted them similarly.
"Good morning" Ben replied with equal enthusiasm
Eugene gave a polite nod, Ben found it odd that Eugene gave a very different greeting than his other family members "Maybe he's not a morning person" he thought.

Ben walked over to the seat next to the one across from Ruapunzel "May I sit here?" He asked putting a hand on the back of the chair.
"Of course" Ruapunzel replied.
Ben pulled out the chair and sat down, Doug sat to his right.

Slowly the rest of the chairs filled, Doug sat across from Ben, Lonnie sat next to Doug with Jay on her left, Carlos sat next to Jay with Hallie across from him next to an empty chair in between her and Ben, Rebecca sat next to Ben on his left. The food came and went with no sign on Mal or Evie.
"Hey Doug, where's Evie?" Hallie asked, drinking the rest of her Orange juice.
"I have no idea, the last I know is that she got up to get some water last night." He replied swirling the last of his coffee absentmindedly.
"I haven't seen Mal either" Ben added. Out of the corner of his eye,  noticed that at the mention of their missing friends Eugenne had started paying more attention, but so did the rest of the group.
"Maybe they got up early and decided to wander the town" Rebecca suggested
"Maybe" Doug replied
"But Mal's not a morning person, she's never gotten up very early" Ben thought to himself, "I better not worry our hosts, they'll turn up"
"Well, I better figure out our next move" Ben said getting up "Do you have a library I can look through" He asked turning to the queen.