Chapter 6

A few days later after planning their date, Lauren bought tickets to see the show that was coming to their town, Pippin. This would be their first time seeing it as they loved the soundtrack, always blasting it during their car rides. Camila also made reservations to an expensive steak restaurant. If Lauren was going to spend a lot of money on her for one night, she was going to do the same.

    Since going to a pricey restaurant and a Broadway show with one other person wasn't exactly something you do with a friend, Camila told her parents that she was going with a whole bunch of friends. She said Dinah, Ally, Shawn, Normani, Justin were all going as well. Sinu and Alejandro were happy for their daughter and were excited that she was going to spend such a fun night with her new pals. The process of planning the date went smoothly and the girls were stoked.

    "I can't wait for tomorrow!" Lauren squealed to Camila in their Acting 4 class. The cast side was rehearsing as usual but Lauren wanted to help Camila run lines so they could be together.

    "Me too! I don't do a lot of fun things so this is a really big deal for me," Camila beamed.

    "You've been to other Broadway shows before right?" Lauren chuckled curiously.

    "Yeah, but always with my family and not with friends. So, it's even more fun that I get to go with you," Camila confessed with a grin. "This time I can talk about Broadway with someone who actually gets it."

    "Me too! I always go with my family too since they're the ones who buy the tickets but they never understand what's happening in the Broadway world. And sometimes they don't get what the shows really mean. They can be somewhat close-minded," Lauren rolled her eyes. "Last time when we were in New York and I was touring NYU, we saw a few shows. One of them was The Book of Mormon which I've seen a few times but they never have and when we went together, they were sort of freaked out. I know you probably know the reason why."

    "Oh my God. I do," Camila laughed. "I had to go see that with my aunt and uncle who aren't religious cause I was not about to have my parents see that. But it was so hilarious, I died several times," Camila chuckled.

    Lauren smiled at the younger brunette. It was so nice to be able to talk to another person about Broadway and theater. She could talk to Shawn and Justin about it since they loved it as well but it was different talking to Camila. Broadway and Camila were two of her favorite things and being able to combine them was worthwhile.

    "Okay class! That is about it for today. The bell is going to ring in just a moment but I wanted to remind all of you that the fall play is a week from today! I know that the cast has been working so well and so hard, I'm confident that this will be a great show," Mrs. Diggins exclaimed with excitement.

    "Although we're not done with this current production yet, we are already planning the next. Auditions for our winter musical, Les Misérables, will be in two weeks on Wednesday and Thursday November 19th and 20th. You will need to come prepared to sing and read lines from the script. There will be no real dancing in this show so you don't have to worry non dancers. I hope to see you there, have a great weekend!" Mrs. Diggins smiled as the bell rung.

    "Thank God for no dancing. I'm so bad no matter how many dance numbers I performed," Camila sighed walking out of the room with Lauren.

    "What are you talking about? You're a great dancer, Camz. You killed it in Chicago I mean you were Roxie Hart for crying out loud," Lauren grinned assuring the other girl that she wasn't bad at all.

    "Whatever. You're better anyway. 'Hot Honey Rag' would've flopped if you didn't help me," Camila winked. Lauren smiled at the compliment referencing the Chicago number. "Well, I'll see ya after rehearsal. They're getting so intense since Hell Week was coming up next week. Diggins said that she would keep us there all night till we get it perfect."

    "Oh it get's super intense. Justin and Shawn are always stressed during Hell Week, it's kinda sad but that's show biz," the emerald-eyed girl explained.

    "Yeah and I bet dance is too. Your competition is coming up soon as well." She was right, the dance team were gearing up for their competition. Luckily it was during the weekend after the play so Lauren didn't have to miss it.

    "Our rehearsals are definitely getting serious," Lauren sighed. Lauren liked dance but ever since the school year started, it felt like a job to her. A job she couldn't quit.

________________________________________________________________________________

    It was Saturday afternoon fifteen minutes before Lauren was supposed to pick Camila up to go to dinner and then the show. She was was already dressed in a petite velvet bonded tunic and wore a choker and black lace heels. She straightened her hair and applied a good amount of makeup.

    "You look beautiful, Mija," Clara told her daughter.

    "Thanks, Mom," Lauren smiled.

    "I bet you're excited for this first date. I know you really like Camila and your father and I are so happy for you," Clara said as she hugged Lauren tightly.

    Mike and Clara were always supportive of their daughter no matter who she loved. Lauren told them she was gay two years ago when she dated Keana. Ever since then she's lived a happy comfortable life.

    "I do. I hope everything goes perfect tonight. I just want her to have a fun time," Lauren gushed.

    "Maybe ask her to be your girlfriend?" Clara asked.

    "Mom!" Lauren squealed blushing. She always did that when talking about girls with her folks.

    "It's a good night to ask!"

    "I don't know. Maybe. But her parents don't know about her sexuality yet," Lauren sulked.

    "Oh, honey that's too bad. Do you think she'll tell them soon?"

    "Hopefully. She's just starting to become comfortable with it herself so who knows when she'll be comfortable telling her parents."

    "Well, you know we love you matter what. Right?" Clara consoled.

    "I know. I love you so much," Lauren hugged again.

    "You taking off, Lolo?" Mike asked walking into the kitchen.

    "Yeah just about to," she clarified.

    "Okay have fun," he said kissing her daughters head. "But not too much fun."

    "Daaad," Lauren groaned and pulled away. "We're not gonna do anything."

    "It's only the first date so take it sl—"

    "Dad!" she cut him off. "Okay, this is awkward and I'm leaving," Lauren exclaimed with flushed cheeks. She said one last goodbye to her parents and went out the door, beginning a night she wouldn't forget.