Chapter 12

Lauren's POV

Today was the big day. Probably one of the most important days I was going to have at South Miami. Today was the day I finally audition for a show here. I was a mix between freaking the fuck out and so excited I could explode. For the past two weeks I've been working on my audition song, "Fly, Fly Away" from one of my favorite musicals, Catch Me If You Can. It was a big song so I really needed to practice.

I ran it by Camila multiple times and she said I was ready so, hopefully I was. I was a nervous wreck around lunch.

"You guys ready for auditions?" Ally asked excitedly.

"I really hope so," I sighed nervously with my head in my hands.

"You're going to do great, baby," Camila assured me, rubbing my back supportively.

"I just want to at least get a good part. This is my only shot at performing in a musical at this school so I gotta nail it."

"And you will. Diggins loves you and you're probably going to get the lead to be honest."

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"Lauren, you really have nothing to worry about. You can perform circles around me," Shawn complimented.

"Yeah, Lauren, you'll do amazing," Justin smiled.

"I've never seen you perform badly yet," Normani teased.

"Yet?" I smirked with a raised eyebrow.

"No, but really you're gonna do so well," she confirmed.

_________________________________

I could barely talk once Acting class approached. I was still scared shitless.

"Okay everyone I hope everyone who is auditioning today is well prepared. I can't wait to see you guys. I know you're going to do so well," Mrs. Diggins announced as the hour came to an end.

"Are you ready?" I asked Camila. I've been too worried about my own audition that I haven't really talked about Camila's.

"I think so. 'If I Loved You' is a pretty high song so, let's just hope I'll be able to hit all the notes."

"You will. I've heard you do it and you're amazing on that song," I assured her with a shy smile.

"And you're amazing on 'Fly, Fly Away.'"

I took a deep breath once she reminded me of my audition song.

It was finally 3:00. Everyone who wanted to audition made their way into the theater and took their seats. I walked in holding Camila's hand tightly with Shawn and Justin walking closely behind us.

"Welcome, everyone, to the auditions for the Winter musical, Les Mis!" Mrs. Diggins announced, "I'm sure you all know how the process works but for newcomers, I'll explain it again. Everyone is going to get a number and you will come up here and sing the song you prepared. We have our pianist Steven ready to accompany you. Once everyone is finished, we will group some of you up and run through scenes from the script," she finished her explanation. "Any questions?" No one raised their hand. "Alright, let's get to it!"

We all got up and filled out papers with our personal information. There were about 40 people auditioning this season all together which was a pretty big number so some had to audition either today or tomorrow depending on when you signed up. Only about 20 were allowed to audition today and since Camila, I, Justin, and Shawn were one of the first few to sign up, today was our day.