30: Invasion Of Creepy-Apple Mansion: Preparation

Invasion of Creepy-Apple Mansion: Preparation
(Not exactly – more like "the one where Phantom uses Smirky for shameless plot development")
[Warning: Contains words and gore written by a sleep-deprived Phantom.]

Zalgo's Secret Lair: 4:38 AM.

A sharp pain pulsated from the side of his jaw, traveling down his neck and across his chest like a slash of a dagger.

In response, he turned over and ignored it. For that moment, tiredness took priority over anything else – and his bed was a haven.

But pain d e m a n d e d to be felt – It wouldn't leave him be. More stings crept down his neck, running a branching path past his dry throat.

A halfhearted glimpse at his reflection in the front-facing wall mirror;

His bandages were bloodsoaked.

By pulling the flowy fabric of his nightshirt to one side, he had a full view of his own skin splitting apart above the collarbone, dripping out crimson liquid.

The wound's split edges flushed furious red, began swelling up immediately.

Another price to pay – in tamer terms, a "side effect."

Under pearlescent moonlight (courtesy of a large window), he begrudgingly dragged his legs and swung into an upright position.

Drip...
Drip...
Drip...

Door unlocked and open. Good.

Drip...
Drip...
Drip...

He padded barefoot on the floor.

Beady red droplets oozed from the bandages and trickled down his hand. An occasional dark splatter on the hallway's stone floor suggested that this wasn't a new occurance.

Anyway, refreshed with macabre dećor or not, the ground did make itself useful by muffling his footsteps.

He breezed past several minion guards (who were sleeping), stepped over glowing laser sensors and took the left passage when met with a fork in the hall.

Slowing down a few paces, the illusionist took note that the one and only door in the gloomy corridor was ajar.

A narrow slit of light poured out of the crack between the door and its frame, such brilliant contrast that everything else looked jet black by comparison.

Smirky could hear voices, hushed ones.

Clearly, someone didn't want to draw attention to themselves.

So naturally, he flattened himself to a wall and eavesdropped, straining his ears to pick up on dialogue and pinpoint it to a face.

"Ahem. Your work is invaluable to me, Kagekao. And I know you enjoy this sort of thing. They've amped their security. Consider it... A challenge."

Zalgo's tone was unmistakable.

"Am I now useful because your usual puppet is fast asleep?" Kagekao drawled, voice oozing sarcasm. He was more soft-spoken, and harder to focus on.

Smirky shuffled his feet, folding his arms across his chest to silence his dripping bandages; the sound would surely give him away.

Zalgo paused in his speech. "The risk is just too high. I can't leave room for error – or changes of heart. You possess the best skillset for this mission."