35: An Apple's Third Gateway To Madness - Smirky vs. Smiley

[Hello, thanks joining us! Listen up, listen close! Play the media on both chapters; enjoy the writing; and let me know your reactions at the end!]

It was unclear who struck first. But once they clashed - fireworks flew.

No really - they did. Earsplitting ones, followed by distant cheers and the echo of (suspiciously Cyen-ish) hurrahs.

It began.

Wish-whoosh! Smirky swung his scythe's blade in a keen stroke, catching Smiley unawares by his formidable speed.

Even so, the not-so-good doctor used acute reflex to evade the blitz of obsidian metal. He leapt out of its path, backing away fast.

The illusionist made a swift recovery from his missed blow - with a swerve of the handle, he executed a linear swipe towards his brother's heart.

Smiley's fancy footwork could only carry him back so far.

The blade's sheer tip fleeted over his chest. 

An crescent of blood spurted skyward.

He tripped, gasping in pain. A moment later, he scrambled to sit - and gingerly ran a finger just below the burning wound.

Bleeding, yes. Deep, no.

Smiley aimed a kick at the floor, body in a twist, to heave himself back to his feet. Once he was up, his heartbeat hammered.

Because his brother was nowhere to be seen.

"Don't take your eyes off me!~" Smirky warned in glee.

Muttering incomprehensibly under his breath, Smiley nonchalantly span on heel.

And then he moved like a whip of lightning.

It all happened so fast.

A sidestep; the scythe crashed past, tore right through rough stone, sending fiery sparks and fragments soaring everywhere.

Smirky - perhaps sensing that his move was doomed to fail - let go of the handle mid-swing and used the momentum to make a high pass far above Smiley's head.

He was pelted relentlessly by surging debris; sharp pieces colliding into his arms as he brought them up to shield his face.

The illusionist landed nimbly on his feet.

There was something sinister about the way he lowered his arms and looked at Smiley.
It wasn't only the menacing shadow that shrouded his face.

Neither said a word, neither dared to initiate next move.

More fireworks exploded from close by, shattering through their hostile silence like a bullet to a mirror.

Whizz! Pow! Kaboom! Rrrreow! (That last one was definitely Cyen).

Oh, those minions and their bingo night/middle of the morning. Their bouts of absurdity had perfect comic relief, but unfortunate timing.

(Word count, word count, boosty, boost, boost!)

The corners of Smirky's mouth forced an unreadable smile.

"What a shame."

Smirky shuffled his feet, clasping his hands behind his back. He had this look shining in his eyes - a kind of innocent lustre.

"I can't help thinking... We could've been good friends."