38: Dearest Apple Of Purple Blood

[I thoroughly blame all of you amazing readers and your awesome comments 'n votes for motivating me. Thank you! I hope you enjoy this extra special one, from my apple-shaped heart. Heads up: Some of this is written behind Smirky's questioning eyes. Don't hesitate to ask if you get confused about something!]

His master's haunting glare had lanced through his soul.

Those merciless eyes. So full of danger, strength and victory. He was tranced by them, and yet the blood in his veins demanded heed, burned like liquid fire.

In the past, the formula never hurt him so badly. No mistake; it was always a spiteful poison, slithering under his skin with the intent to break it and force him to bleed, but never anything more.

Then again; he'd never stepped over his boundary line for so long either. He'd activated it thrice, blazing through every chaotic reserve of power it offered him.

And in exchange, it demanded equal payment. His own untainted blood. Perfect for corruption. Unprepared ruby, against unfathomable onyx.

Was this what it felt like, to walk a tightrope of decision and consequence?

Might he have performed better and avoided falling?

T h u d. T h u d. T h u d. His heartbeat sounded fragile.

It took precisely thirty seconds for him to register, that Zalgo had broken eye contact with him. An invisible hold lost its grip; he could relax those tight knots in his stomach.

For now, the prince of darkness had a bone to pick with Smiley. The not-so-good doctor found himself at his mercy in a flash, wrist seized in a circulation-cutting hold.

"Let's make it easier for both of us." Zalgo sharply twisted it. "Tell me how you escaped, and I won't break this in half."

Smiley yelled out, in pain or surprise – couldn't tell which, and put up a fierce fight to free his arm. He kicked and he tugged, he clawed and he hissed.

"LET GO OF ME!"

Zalgo only readjusted his grasp. He held Smiley's wrist from behind – a claw lightly tracing his ulnar artery with frightening precision.

"Ahem. You were saying...?"

The not-so-good doctor brought his resistance to a shuddering halt. Having a creepy demon play "Round and round the garden" on your wrist, with his claws, was quite convincing.

"Es-Escaped? My teeth can go sharp as any blade. I bit through your flimsy chains; ripped those cuffs off too. And I... I broke the door down."

A little white and black lie, tailing the rush of shimmering truth. It sent Smirky's heart leaping to his throat, knowing just what his brother had hid.

Smiley never handled pain well. Why make it worse for himself?

T h u d! T h u d! T h u d!

Zalgo growled deeply, lifting Smiley clear off the ground by his ensnared wrist.

He'd known of the not-so-good doctor's trickery at once. His sensitive fingertips had been pressed on the artery, keeping a close monitor on its racing pulse.

"You shouldn't lie to me, unless you're the kind who enjoys being hurt!"

Claws pierced the soft skin of Smiley's palm.

"No! Not at all!" His voice shattered mid-shriek.

Mesmerising blood beads rolled along the crease of Smiley's wrist (staining it with red rivulets), and fell; messy dark splatters on a ravaged stone floor.