44: A Doctor Apple's Confession

When we were young, I played a horrible trick. On our birthday, when our parents weren't looking, I gave him a gift of my own; a box of chocolates filled with razorblades.

He cut his mouth badly and went to find our mother. But while he was gone, I swapped the chocolates and convinced her that he'd intended to give them to me. She was shocked, and father got very, very angry...

I explained away the blood by telling them that we'd been playing truth or dare, and I'd dared him to kiss the cat, and he couldn't argue because it must've hurt too much talk-

Smiley stopped writing and looked up. L.J was practically breathing on top of his head, comically arched over to read the words as they were written.

"So that's why he hates you and chocolate?"

The not-so-good doctor twirled the pen between his skilful fingers. Nervously. An unusually prolonged pause.

Almost though...

Almost though he was thinking of making up another lie.

All he had to do was write one simple word, and he'd be out of the situation unscathed. This was the closest he'd ever come to admitting the truth.

Smirky knows I find lies irresistible...

His hesitant hand was revealing letters in swift, deliberate strokes of the pen. It would only take three.

Y.

Crafting a perfect lie, watching it unfold before his eyes.

E.

He will never forgive me if I go on like this!

A thread snapped. A boundary was stepped. Halfway through finishing with the letter 'S', Smiley swiped the pen back and put a strike across what he'd almost ended.

It looked like a mere spelling mistake; soared right over L.J's radar.

Before his nerve abandoned him, the not-so-good doctor scrawled onto the pristine white paper. (The words flowed like a river of ink, flying from his deft handwork like magic.)

No. He wants me dead for what I did afterwards.

"Go on." L.J breathed. He was like a child being told a captivating bedtime story, leaning in as close as he could, unaware of his nose poking Smiley's forehead.

I... (He gripped the pen tightly, choking the innocent inanimate object.) I did something bad.

"Hold up; by bad, what level of offence are we talking about? Stealing cookie out of a cookie jar bad, or slaughtering whole family in front of eyes kind of-"

Nobody else in the world would've been interrupting Smiley in such a way. Perhaps that was a wonderful thing; nothing else could've squeezed the truth out of him so quickly.

At nighttime, after our parents went to bed, I went and apologised. Promised I'd never do anything to hurt him again. And he forgave me.

L.J didn't make a comment, but listened with impatient anticipation.

He knew Smiley's little tale was heading somewhere bad indeed.