45: Chocolates, Razorblades, and Apples (Smiley's Memory - Part One)

They sat in Father's study, where it was quiet and undisturbed. The room, situated all the way up in the attic, had not a speck of typical dust in sight.

It was decorated in "autumn"colours (or so Father claimed), but one would be wise to notice that everything had a reddish tint to its name.

Still, it always boasted such relaxing, bookish character, that no one minded.

Two mirrored bookcases sat on either side of the room, with a mounted lamp on either side of each one, shining down cones of soft cream light.

We'll get to why these bookcases are important to note in a moment. Many classics flooded the mahogany shelves, organised by alphabet, carving a careful illusion of good taste.

Though... taking a closer look, would reveal that a notable amount of disturbing books were hidden amongst the normal ones. (These were the only volumes that looked read.)

Now, sitting beneath one of the bookcases were the twin boys, considerably younger. This is where Smiley's memory began, and ran like an unstoppable film reel.

"I have a present for you."

He registered suspicion flash in his brother's eyes. Or rather, eye. The bad one was covered by a cotton eyepatch, to set their parents at peace for that special day.

"What is it...?" questioned a weary Smirky, leaning in closer.

Smiley beamed cheerfully and gave him a box. It was wrapped in plain paper, with a poofy bow tied around. Spidery handwriting scrawled in a corner read:

Happy birthday Drevon!

And a big smiley face underneath.

"F-For... for me?"

"Well if you don't want it-" Smiley reached to take the box back. As he anticipated, Smirky gripped it tight, close to his chest, and turned a little away so it couldn't be reached.

"Thank you."

Although young, Smiley had already perfected his deceptive smile. So innocent, charming, and perfectly sincere-looking. "Don't mention it. Open?"

"O-Oh, of course..." A trace of disbelief was left in his words.

For the next few minutes, the study was filled by the sound of rustling paper.

Smirky wouldn't take so much care with a normal gift, noted Smiley, who then scanned the bookcases, reading titles off the book spines to keep himself occupied.

(Father had no idea that he often 'borrowed' from those bookcases. The forbidden fruit was just so fascinating. His favourite was a series about performing torture.)

Finally, the bow came undone and unraveled into a curly lock of blood red satin ribbon. Smirky let it go, and curiously pried open the box's lightweight lid to peek inside. 

"Chocolate?" His eye opened wider. He glanced up. "But this is your share-"

Smiley reached out to ruffle his twin's hair, and bit back a chuckle at how scruffy he looked afterwards. No wonder Mother was fond of doing likewise. With mischief glittering in his eyes, Smiley answered the hanging question.

"Yep: they're supposed to be my gift. But I don't know... this year, I kind of feel like giving them to you. Why don't you try one?"

"A-Are you sure it's alright for me to have these?" Smirky paused, then set down the box and pushed it so it sat between them. "Can I share them with you?"