Chapter 19:

No Edward, No Edward.....I ranted again and again in my brain. The fear of losing a good friend crept into me.

I turned as slowly as someone could, turning the situation into a suspense movie scene. I would've been happy it was Edward.

"Samuel?"The confusion was clear when I said his name. Did he stalk us? Oh my God! Now this guy becomes a stalker too.

But that didn't faze me. His red brimmed eyes disturbed me, a LOT. Was he crying? But Samuel never cries. There was a situation I could recall though.

"Sam?" I tenderly touch his heaving shoulder. Was he crying? 

"Samuel! SAMUEL! What happened? Why are you crying?" I yelled lifting his head gently from his palms. I wiped the tears that were falling, just like unstoppable niagara falls. In our one month relationship, I had never witnessed him being sorrow, let alone cry. My heart clenched tightly in my chest and my stomach twisted in weird ways being in this situation, where I had no idea why my boyfriend cried and I wasn't trying to resolve the situation either.

"What happened?" I asked him again when he had let out a sob and wiped his tears, detaching himself from me. That hurt a little. I tried to reach into his space and comfort him, but maybe the situation was so hard that he couldn't exactly comprehend what to do.

"Mother passed away." The words echoed  again and again in my brain. I collapsed to my knees right there when my brain decoded the matter behind it. My mind felt numb and did not knew what to utter. Lily was not just Samuel's mom but mine too.

 Some situations occur putting us in a dilemma of whom to trust and whom to not. When you lose the person closest to your heart, the inner turmoil turns unbearable. You always have trust issues, the world turns gloomy and nothing actually can tug a smile on your lips. Not even Harry Potter. 

I felt that at two situations after I've met Samuel. One was when his mother left us to chat with the God and the next was when we divorced and put an end to our relation together.

That's the last time I have ever witnessed Samuel's red eyes.

"Mommy! Come in! Ask daddy too?" Ethan jumped in joy looking at Samuel, unaware of how complicated the situation was.

"I-I'll come in darling, I have to talk to daddy," I had managed to utter before I ruffled his hair and ushered him to rejoice with the cafe staff. First, he frowned, nevertheless, understood that the situation's an adult one. I sometimes thank God for providing Ethan with an understanding, most of children lack. Well, at least, he did not stomp like my old neighbour's kid.

"Talk Samuel. Stop staring at me blankly," I said quirking my eyebrow and tapped my foot on the floor to emphasize on my growing impatience. I raised both my eyebrows and tilted my head a little when he made no gesture of starting a conversation.

"Can we talk somewhere peaceful? Like somewhere we can sit?" His voice was low and raw, add a cough to it, he'd represent someone addicted to cigar and alcohol. Though his cheeks were devoid  of five o'clock shadow, his dishevelled hair was enough to soften my heart a little. But all those emotions originated out of humanity and were meant to be locked inside. My hard expression hadn't faded and I did not intend it to.

Sit with him and talk. I would just make it a short talk of perhaps, five minutes? Then wash my hands away with it. This shouldn't stab my heart. I was not in a position to hear his sayings and empathise with him. Sein brought me here to share happiness with my pals, not to crush my mood with a truck. So, I made a mental note of not jerking my heart from any kind of disturbance created by Samuel.

"So?" I released a breath after seating myself by one of the park benches fixed outside the cafe.

"How to start?" he mumbled to himself. Though his sound descended to extremely low level, thanks to my sharp hearing, I made out the words as clear as purified water.