Did I make the right Decision?

Chapter Two

Hailey:

I woke up after hearing the constant knocks on my bedroom door. Groaning, I sat up on the bed and rested my head against the headboard then shut my eyes to block the light. The knocking on the door stopped, and I sighed in relief.

I felt an immense pain in my head. My eyes were sticky and swollen. I cracked open my eyes and tried to clear my throat but ended up coughing violently because of the dryness. I ran my tongue over my lips and felt the cracks on them.

Slowly, I opened my eyes and looked around my room. My eyes went to my pillow, which was damp with tears and just like that everything that happened last night came crashing. I wanted to sleep again when I recalled what happened last night. I never wanted to wake up again.

Last night was like some horrible nightmare that turned into reality really fast. Everything was still vivid in my memory. I hoped that I could forget everything and continue with my boring life but even that seemed hard to do at the moment.

Yesterday, I found out that I lost my real mother the day she gave birth to me. And the one that I had looked up to as my mother for the last sixteen years was not my real mother. I was not her real daughter, her flesh, and blood. Even more so, I turned out to be the product of my dad's infidelity. And lastly, the revelation that my biological mother's death was because of me left me in so much pain.

If I had died with my mother that day, I wouldn't be in so much pain right now. I got up from the bed feeling my muscles ache and made my way to the vanity table. I stared at myself in the mirror, and I cringed at how horrible I looked. My eyes were red and puffy from crying all night. Even my face looked a little swollen, and on top of that, I had a runny nose.

Did I make the right decision last night?

Even my inner voice didn't answer my stupid question.

I recalled the time I had spent here in this house with this family. I wondered why they were so kind to provide me a house to live in, instead of leaving me at some orphanage or giving me up for adoption. Even Melanie, let me called her mom. My dad did his best to provide me a great life. He put a roof over my head. He provided me with clothes and had me educated.

Then I heard the knock at the door again and went to open it. I found mom or should I say stepmom standing outside.

"Can I come in?" my stepmom asked.

I nodded my head, and she entered my room. I shut the door and looked at her, suddenly feeling nervous in her presence.

"I came here to apologize for my behavior last night. I'm sorry that you had to find out about your mom and dad that way," she said.

I felt somewhat happy after hearing her apology and thought she might be here to tell me that I didn't need to marry anyone to repay her.

"And I just want you to know how grateful I am for what you are doing for your sister. She really appreciates your sacrifice and is thinking about forgiving you for what you and your mother did to our family," she said, and my hopes died.

I nodded my head solemnly.

"Your dad and granddad are not happy with my idea. They want to tell his friend's family how young you are so they won't pursue the marriage and wait for few years. But now, it's your responsibility to convince them and make them lie about your age. My daughter and I cannot live anymore with the constant reminder of Michael's infidelity," she said, making my heart froze.

She wanted me to ask my father and grandfather to lie to other people about my age. I opened my mouth to tell her that I couldn't possibly convince my dad and grandfather to do it, but she took hold of my hand.