Death

Chapter Six

Hailey's POV:

It had been a week of living with the Edwards. Everyone in the house had been very nice and friendly with me except Kate. Kate was Chase's twin sister. She always gave me death glares, which scared the hell out of me. She made snide remarks about my appearance and clothing. For me, she was like a second version of Emily.

Every morning I would wake up at eight, so I could see Chase before he left for his classes. I hurriedly got ready and went downstairs to the kitchen to give my mother-in-law, Eva, a helping hand while she prepared breakfast for us.

When I reached the kitchen, she was almost done preparing breakfast. I asked her if she wanted me to set the table and she nodded with a small smile.

I took the coffee tray from her hands and put them on the table.

It had been my routine; helping Eva in the kitchen while she prepared breakfast for everyone.

I picked the coffee cups and placed them on everyone's side of the table. Kate liked to drink orange juice during breakfast. Everyone came in the dining hall and took their seats.

"Good morning," I said with a small smile.

My father-in-law replied. "Good morning, dear."

"Good morning," Chase said, and I smiled then put the plate of toast and cheese omelet in front of him

Kate didn't reply to me. Sighing, I picked the bowl of cereal and put some milk in it then started eating.

We all ate in the silence. After breakfast, my father-in-law left for the office. Chase and Kate went to their rooms to get ready.

I was cleaning the table when they appeared, ready to leave.

Kate was wearing black jeans with a white crop top and knee-length black boots. Her straight brown hair was left open, and her face was flawless as always. There was a black bag dangling on her shoulder while she was busy talking to someone on the phone.

Then my eyes moved to Chase, he was wearing a dark blue fitted shirt with blue jeans. His face was perfect, clean, and handsome. His brown hair was a mess, giving him look like he had just rolled out of bed. The sneakers he was wearing were black with some logo in white on it. The simple black colored bag was hanged over his left shoulder.

My mother-in-law told me that Chase and Kate were both studying in NYU. Kate was studying fashion designing while Chase was studying business and it happened to be his last year, more like three months left before his graduation.

They both said goodbye and left in a hurry as they were getting late for their classes.

After cleaning the kitchen, I went to the backyard, which was kind of a small decorated garden. It was the part of the house that I often went to read in the peaceful and calm atmosphere.

I took the empty chair that was in the corner and sat down on it. When I opened the book, I found myself lost in the story as it was really interesting.

The book I was reading didn't belong to me. It was Chase's elder sister's book. She didn't live in this house with us because she was already twenty-eight years old, happily married, and had two beautiful kids.

It was evening when I finished reading, so I got up from the chair and made my way inside the house. My mother-in-law was watching TV, and when she saw me, she asked me to join her. I didn't tell her that I was tired and wanted to rest instead I sat down beside her.