Meeting Cameron

Shawn Mendes as Cameron ⬆

Chapter-Nine

Hailey's POV :

The house was in chaos since morning because Cameron would be coming back today from his boarding school.

Cameron was the younger brother of Chase, and he lived in a boarding school in Grand Forks, North Dakota. He was in the middle of his midterm examination when his granddad died, and because of that, he didn't come home to attend the funeral. I heard that he was really sad when he heard the news about his grandfather's death and wanted to come home for his funeral, but his school administrator didn't grant him permission to come home.

Now that his examinations had ended, he was coming back home for a one month vacation.

            I did not meet him before, so I didn't know much about him, but what I heard from my mother-in-law was that he was quite immature and a prankster.

She also told me that Chase and Cameron were not very close. I heard when they were all kids Kate used to hurt him so he wouldn't play with Chase. I thought the twin bond between Chase and Kate didn't let anyone come close to both of them. They were inseparable as kids.

My mother-in-law had requested me to bake lemon tarts because it was Cameron's favorite dessert. I was quite good at baking, and the credit for that went to my grandma. Amy helped me in the kitchen but she had other chores to do so she left when I was waiting for tart to bake.

The alarm of the oven beeped indicating that the lemon tarts were done baking. I slipped my pink baking mittens on my hands and pulled out the tray from inside the oven then set it on the counter to let it cool.

I would have baked chocolate chip cupcakes today if my mother-in-law didn't request me to bake lemon tarts. Actually, chocolate chip cupcakes were Chase's favorite, and I loved baking them for him. I remembered his granddad told me how much Chase liked everything with chocolate so I started baking chocolate chip cupcakes.

Last week, I served some cupcakes during breakfast. He didn't know who made them and thought it was from some bakery. He kept eating them while saying how good they tasted.

I felt giddy when I heard the praises from him. So it had become kind of a daily routine for me to bake chocolate cupcakes for him. I had noticed whenever Chase found cupcakes during breakfast, his eyes turned alive, and his face morphed into happiness.

I was again daydreaming about Chase and his beautiful smile when a sudden noise of someone clearing throat startled me, causing me to jump. My hands slipped and landed on the hot tray. I hissed in pain and looked up to see the culprit who caused me this stupid burn, but I found myself frozen on the spot.  There was someone standing in front of me with a gun in his hand that it was targeted on my head. His face was covered with black cloth except for his pretty blue eyes and brown hair.

At that moment, I was scared out of my wits.

I panicked and looked around the kitchen in the hope of finding something to scare the guy, but to my utter luck, I didn't find a single thing, not even a butter knife to stab him in the eye.

He suddenly moved closer to me, scaring me more.

"Don't come close or I will..." I searched my brain for a good threat that will scare him off.

"You'll what?" he asked me, sounding amused.

"I'll throw this hot lemon tart on your face." I inched my hand near the lemon tart.

"You are so cruel, but you have a very innocent face. Do you use this innocent face to deceive people?" the stranger asked, walking closer to me.

I kept my mouth shut because clearly my threat didn't affect him and my talks would only amuse him.