The stars shone brighter that night

Chapter Seven 

Hailey's POV:

I woke up in the morning and remembered how Chase broke down in front of me last night. Getting inside the washroom, I hurriedly showered then changed into my black trousers and white top.

I went downstairs and saw my mother-in-law working in the kitchen.

"Good morning," I said to her.

"Good morning, dear."

I looked around and saw a bowl of cereal and glass of juice in the tray.

My mother-in-law saw me staring and asked, "Hailey, dear, do you want to eat cereal?"

"No, I was just looking," I said.

"Oh, this breakfast is for Chase. He has a fever, and he can't come down for breakfast, today."

I instantly became worried. I wanted to go to his room, and check how he was, but then he might not want to see me after last night.

"I'm taking this tray to Chase's room. Please turn off the stove for me," she said, and I nodded.

If I went to see him with the breakfast, there would be fewer chances of him getting angry with me.

"Eva, I can't find the file that I put on the bedside table yesterday. Did you put it somewhere?" My father-in-law yelled from his room.

My mother-in-law rolled her eyes and handed me the tray.

"Hailey, please take this to Chase's room and make sure he eats everything," my mother-in-law said, walking to her room.

I stared at her retracting figure and the tray in my hand. After turning off the stove, I made my way upstairs to Chase's room.

I knocked twice, but when he didn't open the door, I twisted the knob and went inside to find him asleep on the bed.

Should I go back downstairs and tell her that he was asleep or wake him up?

I walked closer and placed the tray on the bedside table then put a hand on Chase's shoulder to wake him up. When my hand came in contact with his skin, I realized he was burning.

I searched the medical box and found some Advil. I took them out and put them on the tray and shook Chase's shoulder. He groaned and grabbed my hand.

"Chase, wake up," I whispered.

He opened his eyes and looked at me.

"Hailey, what are you doing here?" he asked me, shutting back his eyes.

"I brought breakfast and medicine for you."

He groaned and turned his back to me.

"Chase, you have a fever. You need to take the medicines. Please, wake up," I said, making him turn back to me.

He glared at me then sat up on the bed. The quilt that was covering his body fell around his waist, and that was when I remembered that he was shirtless.

Did I blush?

Yes, I did.

"Has anyone ever told you how annoying you are?" he said.

"Many people told me I'm annoying, awkward, and silly."

He shook his head at me and rubbed his hands on his face in irritation then glared at me.