Mending Her Heart

PROLOGUE

Madeline POV:

I was sitting on the bench in the school garden, staring at the kids. They were all begging their parents not to leave them, some were clutching their father's leg and some were holding their mom's hand like they were afraid she'll leave them.

But one boy out of all the other kids caught my attention. He wasn't crying like other kids, he wasn't begging his parents not to leave him; he was smiling with the mischievous twinkle in his blue eyes like he was promising them that he will have a fun day.

I noticed he has a pretty blonde hair with brown streaks in them. It was a unique combination but it looked good on him. His cheeks were chubby and rosy making him look cute. I wanted to go and say hi to him but I stopped myself and grasped the base of bench.

His mother kneeled down and kissed his temple. His dad also kneeled down beside his mom and said something to the boy. The boy nodded his head excitedly and hugged them. At that moment, I wished my parents were here with me, biding me goodbye on first day of school instead of Emma. She just left me outside the school and told me to follow other kids.

I noticed his parents and teacher asked him to come inside the class. It was time for me to go inside the class too, but I was afraid to go inside and meet new kids.

Will they hurt me like Delia? I asked myself.

I hope not because it's my first day of school and I want to remember as a good memory so I got up from the bench and made my way inside the class.

Every kid in the class was staring at the toys section in the class. I rolled my eyes which I learned from my mom. I decided to sit at the back. Then my eyes landed on the boy who I saw outside, sitting few rows ahead of me with the girl dressed in pink jacket. He said something to the girl and she smiled shyly.

I didn't know what I felt but it was bad. I felt bad seeing them together and talking.

The girl was beautiful. She has blue eyes darker than the boy she was talking. Her hair color was white blonde and she was wearing jeans and pink jacket. I never liked pink color so I I didn't like what she was wearing.

The teacher entered in the class and asked our names then she asked us about our likes and dislikes.

I didn't hear what other kids said but when the boy started talking my focus was on him.

"My name is Brandon. I'm five years old, love ice cream and play football". He said with the smile.

After knowing that he likes Football, I started to like him more. Football was a special sport for me, my dad and I used to play football every weekend when he was still alive.

A girly voice pulled me out of my memories of the past. I looked up to find the pink jacket girl talking.

"My name is Laura. My favorite color is pink and I like to dance". She said.

I snorted at her boring introduction but all the boys in the class looked at her with smile including Brandon.

Finally, it was my turn to tell them about myself. I was pretty sure no one was interested to know about me and their enthusiasm had diminished as I was the last one in the class to introduce myself. But I took the deep breath and told my name.