My Nightmares

Chapter Eight

Hailey's​ 

[Two weeks later]

After two weeks, the atmosphere in the house was still mournful. I didn't get the opportunity to spend time with Joseph, but I was sad and hurt with his death. His death had triggered my old nightmares again. They were even more horrible now, keeping me awake every night, or if I fell asleep, they would come back to haunt me again. I hadn't been getting any sleep because of these terrible nightmares.

Chase and my father-in-law looked a lot better now. Both of them were most affected by the news of Joseph's death as both men were close to him. He loved all his grandchildren, but Chase had spent a lot of time with him and had a great bond with him.

I looked up at myself in the mirror and saw dark circles under my eyes. The lack of sleep was clear on my face. I felt fatigue because of not getting any sleep from the past week. I walked to my bed and slumped down on it then picked up a book. I decided to keep reading the book all night to stay awake. To avoid getting horrible dreams, I had been trying different tricks to stay awake.

Back home, whenever I got these nightmares, my father would buy me the prescribed medicine that helped me to sleep. I stopped taking my medicines and antidepressants since last year because of the improvement of my condition.

Now that I had started getting these horrible nightmares again, I needed them to go back to sleep. I remembered the name of the medicines that I should be taking, but I didn't bring the prescription with me and without that the pharmacy wouldn't allow me to buy those medicines.

And if I would ask anyone in the house to give me a sleeping pill, they would ask me questions like why I needed them to sleep. I would be forced to tell them the truth, and they might send me back to my dad. If I went back to my dad, mom and Emily would kill me this time for meddling in their family.

I shivered thinking about Emily and mom, and their hateful glares if I ever went back to their house.

Somewhere in between reading the book and thinking about not falling into sleep, I closed my eyes, and I was instantly asleep.

This dream started differently from my last dream. I saw the chapel where I got married to Chase, but this time he was holding me close with a beautiful smile on his face when he leaned down and mumbled something in my ear, which made me smile.

I looked happy, and the guests were staring at us with smiles when suddenly there was a loud scream. I turned my head to look at Chase and realized that he had vanished. The place where he was standing now had a puddle of blood. My eyes went to my wedding dress, which was stained with blood too, and that was when I screamed loudly.

I was harshly pulled out from the dream when I felt someone shaking me violently. I opened my eyes and blinked a few times to remove the blurriness. I felt someone wiping my tears from my face, and I opened my eyes to find Chase crouching near my bed. His eyes were fixed on me while his right hand was resting on my cheek. He looked worried and tired.

"Hailey are you alright?" he asked me softly, making me closes my eyes in bliss.

I was glad that he was perfectly fine and with me in my room. What?

Without thinking much, I pushed the quilt from my body and threw my arms around his neck, making him fall on his back on the floor with me on top of him. He was too shocked at my reaction to say and do anything. Even I was shocked at my own actions, but seeing him alive and healthy made me so happy that I couldn't stop myself from throwing my arms around his neck to hug him.