He kissed me

Chapter Ten

Hailey's POV:

I was staring at the TV and remembered the month Cameron, and I spent in exploring New York. For the whole month, Cameron and I were inseparable. He became my best friend, and I was given a chance to experience friendship, which I never experienced before.

Every day, he would take me out to see new places. The first day, we went to Central Park then we ate dinner in Cameron's favorite fast-food place. The second day, he took me to The Empire State Building, which was beautiful. Another day, we went to Manhattan Skyline, and that was how I spent the whole month with him and experienced new things in the world.

Last day of his stay here was eventful. He took me to see the Top of the Rock, and we stayed there until sunset. Around eight o'clock we had dinner in a nice restaurant.

I still remembered what happened that day when I came back.

(Flashback)

I entered the house with a silly smile on my face because of Cameron's stupid joke. I never felt so happy in my life, and no one ever attempted to make me happy, but Cameron did, and it meant the world to me.

I was going upstairs to my room when I felt a presence behind me. I turned around and found Chase looking at me with anger. He took a step forward, and I took a step back from him. It went on until my back was plastered to the wall. He took that as his advantage then trapped me there, by placing both of his hands on each side of the wall.

"I've noticed how you've been spending a lot of time with my brother," he said, sounding bitter.

I felt my heart pounding at the nearness of our bodies. I could feel his breath fanning on my face. He looked angry and jealous.

"I... I went to see the Top of the Rock then..." I said, stopping in the middle.

"What Hailey?" He gritted his teeth.

"Then we had dinner," I said, waiting for his response.

"You will not go with him anywhere from now on, especially not on dinners." He stared into my eyes.

I nodded my head unable to speak under his commanding gaze. He was scaring me, and I hated that I felt scared of him.

"Answer me," he said.

"I will not go anywhere with Cameron." I stuttered.

"Good," he said, staring into my eyes.

I was waiting for him to step back and leave but he kept staring at me. I didn't know what came over me and why I did what I did, but I kissed his cheek.

Chase's eyes widened and I was ready to melt in shame due to my action.

"I'm sorry for going to dinner with Cameron. I didn't know it will make you angry," I blurted out while Chase was still staring at me with wide eyes.

Chase took a step back from me and looked around like he was expecting someone to come out and tell him it was a prank.

"No, I... I'm not angry at you. I just don't like... it when you both go out," he said then put his hand over his mouth.

I stared at him in confusion. Why didn't he like it when Cameron and I went out? My mother-in-law told me that Cameron and Chase, they were not a fan of each other, but I didn't know Chase would react so mean towards his brother.

Cameron was such a sweet soul.

Chase took a step back from me and left me. I shook my head then went to my room.

***

From that day until today he had been ignoring me like I had some contagious disease. I didn't mind if he ignored me, but he had been playing with my heart. He would smile at me one minute and would glare at me the next.

"Hailey, can you take this hot chocolate to Chase's room. My poor baby has been studying all day for his upcoming exams." My mother-in-law handed me a mug. "Goodnight," she said, patting my shoulder and leaving me in the kitchen with the mug in my hand.

I wanted to tell her that she should take this hot chocolate to her son's room because he had been ignoring me and I had been avoiding him after the embarrassing incident, but I stayed silent.

Sighing, I went upstairs to his room and knocked at his door, but he didn't open it. I was ready to go back down when he opened the door.

His hair was messy on his head, and his grey eyes were filled with sleep. He was standing shirtless in front of me, dressed only in his dark blue pajamas. Suddenly, my throat went dry, and my hands started shaking.

He looked baffled to find me standing outside his bedroom at ten in the evening.

"Hot... hot chocolate," I said, offering him a mug.

He looked at it but didn't take it.

"Put it on my bedside table," he said, stepping away from the door.

I nodded my head and entered his room then placed the mug on his bedside table.

My eyes went to his messy bed where few books, sheets, and pens were scattered around. I glanced at Chase who was yawning. He looked too sleepy to clean his bed himself.

I turned to him and saw his eyes dropping due to sleep.

"Do you want me to make your bed?" I asked him.

"No, I will do it myself," He said yawning.

"It's fine."

I removed the books, papers, and pen from his bed and placed them on the study table in his room then I arranged his pillows.

"It's done, you can sleep now," I said and turned around to find him gazing at me.

I felt uncomfortable under his intense gaze. He took a step forward, and my heart started to beat faster.

When he was standing mere inches away from me, he said, "Thank you."

I nodded my head at him, and then he did something, which left me shocked.

He placed a kiss on my left cheek, and I shut my eyes. The feeling of his soft lips on my skin made me shiver from inside. He didn't remove his lips for a few seconds letting me relish in this new feeling. I felt my legs wobble and then butterflies erupted in my tummy.

When he moved away, I opened my eyes and found him staring at me with a smile on his face.

"Good... Goodnight," I said and escaped from his room.

When I was inside my room, I touched my face where he kissed me and smiled.

***